Jump to content

Bathroom Vanity Cubby Modification


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Frank C said:

One of the great features of the Oliver trailer design is the fast and easy (no tools needed) access to ALMOST all of the plumbing, heating, and electrical systems through the hatches under the dinette seats and the beds, or by removing the kitchen cabinet drawers.  One area that’s NOT readily accessible is the area under the bathroom vanity, even though there is plumbing, electrical, and furnace ductwork all tucked inside the vanity.   The storage cubby in the front of the vanity is screwed AND CAULKED in place by Oliver at the factory, so access is a bit more complicated than the other areas.

I recently needed to get into that vanity area for some inspection and maintenance, and after completing that I wanted to make future access easier (no tools needed and no caulking).  I know some owners have replaced the storage cubby with a hinged marine access panel, but I didn’t want to lose the cubby storage.  So here’s a detailed description of a simple modification I did, along with links to the parts used.   Access is now fast and easy.  

No-Slip Clip-On Barrel Nut, for 0.025" to 0.15" Panel Thickness, 8-32 Thread Size

 

https://www.mcmaster.com/94850A111

 

#8-32 x 1" Thumb Screw Stainless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FZVLZKD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

 

uxcell Edge Trim U Seal Extrusion, Silicone White U Channel Edge Protector Sheet Fits 0.5-2.5mm Edge 3Meters/9.84Ft Length https://a.co/d/1uWUZB3

 

Molex -3 Match Set - (3-Pin) w/14-20 AWG, Wire Connector - 2.13mm D, Latch Lock, MLX https://a.co/d/gapvioi

 

63965C9E-C888-40E3-8795-624F04EF5D07.jpeg

8CD3743D-EE16-4C96-83C7-7FFE8E2855C8.jpeg

E99677F9-5353-405F-9DC0-C1959E434B3B.jpeg

F6B82064-A460-4480-BB45-5BEF22A4B9F4.jpeg

CCC1EF17-DA0D-4302-8664-525FECC240F6.jpeg

3A019C72-CE58-4BF9-AF3A-111572CFF7F8.jpeg

C03A16CA-000F-45F7-BFA3-A12CF5AC0E6C.jpeg

6DE8F884-2973-40C8-9696-2AECA5EAB35B.jpeg

1A373EA7-03C6-4BC6-8C29-F38252B6A988.jpeg

7A69F8C3-ADCE-41D8-BD88-332418FFA59A.jpeg

B3C56793-40F1-4F2B-8A51-C583D02D33DA.jpeg

83647F7F-6AEA-427F-9B89-DD99B9150B55.jpeg

39037ABF-4453-4017-92EC-FBC92CBD1D4F.jpeg

4AFB5392-44F6-4354-831B-CC5DABBE3DF0.jpeg

CE2936B8-802E-46B9-8865-F5D142BF8998.jpeg

F355BDB9-6843-4D7B-AEB0-C73CDFF2F58F.jpeg

8A4CB2C1-F3E4-4BCA-B9BD-98063D1E2E3A.jpeg

DE4B1CE7-3936-4B87-983D-8E40FE08A539.jpeg

Very nice job and attention to detail! 👍🏻👍🏻

  • Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Frank C said:

One of the great features of the Oliver trailer design is the fast and easy (no tools needed) access to ALMOST all of the plumbing, heating, and electrical systems through the hatches under the dinette seats and the beds, or by removing the kitchen cabinet drawers.  One area that’s NOT readily accessible is the area under the bathroom vanity, even though there is plumbing, electrical, and furnace ductwork all tucked inside the vanity.   The storage cubby in the front of the vanity is screwed AND CAULKED in place by Oliver at the factory, so access is a bit more complicated than the other areas.

I recently needed to get into that vanity area for some inspection and maintenance, and after completing that I wanted to make future access easier (no tools needed and no caulking).  I know some owners have replaced the storage cubby with a hinged marine access panel, but I didn’t want to lose the cubby storage.  So here’s a detailed description of a simple modification I did, along with links to the parts used.   Access is now fast and easy.  

No-Slip Clip-On Barrel Nut, for 0.025" to 0.15" Panel Thickness, 8-32 Thread Size

 

https://www.mcmaster.com/94850A111

 

#8-32 x 1" Thumb Screw Stainless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FZVLZKD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

 

uxcell Edge Trim U Seal Extrusion, Silicone White U Channel Edge Protector Sheet Fits 0.5-2.5mm Edge 3Meters/9.84Ft Length https://a.co/d/1uWUZB3

 

Molex -3 Match Set - (3-Pin) w/14-20 AWG, Wire Connector - 2.13mm D, Latch Lock, MLX https://a.co/d/gapvioi

 

63965C9E-C888-40E3-8795-624F04EF5D07.jpeg

8CD3743D-EE16-4C96-83C7-7FFE8E2855C8.jpeg

E99677F9-5353-405F-9DC0-C1959E434B3B.jpeg

F6B82064-A460-4480-BB45-5BEF22A4B9F4.jpeg

CCC1EF17-DA0D-4302-8664-525FECC240F6.jpeg

3A019C72-CE58-4BF9-AF3A-111572CFF7F8.jpeg

C03A16CA-000F-45F7-BFA3-A12CF5AC0E6C.jpeg

6DE8F884-2973-40C8-9696-2AECA5EAB35B.jpeg

1A373EA7-03C6-4BC6-8C29-F38252B6A988.jpeg

7A69F8C3-ADCE-41D8-BD88-332418FFA59A.jpeg

B3C56793-40F1-4F2B-8A51-C583D02D33DA.jpeg

83647F7F-6AEA-427F-9B89-DD99B9150B55.jpeg

39037ABF-4453-4017-92EC-FBC92CBD1D4F.jpeg

4AFB5392-44F6-4354-831B-CC5DABBE3DF0.jpeg

CE2936B8-802E-46B9-8865-F5D142BF8998.jpeg

F355BDB9-6843-4D7B-AEB0-C73CDFF2F58F.jpeg

8A4CB2C1-F3E4-4BCA-B9BD-98063D1E2E3A.jpeg

DE4B1CE7-3936-4B87-983D-8E40FE08A539.jpeg

 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow really nice, thanks for all the pictures. It will help when I do mine!!

What edge seal did you use?

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Sue & Harold

 

Oliver Elite II Twin bed,  Hull #508, Ram 2500

                       IDINIAKYMIMNMTNENDOHSDTNUTWYmed.jpg            

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 1Lessworker said:

Link is in the original post. 

  • Like 1

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4x4, 6.2L Flex-Fuel engine 

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

visited-united-states-map.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Frank C said:

 

Frank C.

Great post - Thanks.

For the wiring, did you just crimp each wire connector, or did you soder each wire connection?

Have you seen any leaks around the edge seal?

  • Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Hull #354 

2018 RAM 1500 Rebel 4 x 4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear ratio

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dewdev said:

Frank C.

Great post - Thanks.

For the wiring, did you just crimp each wire connector, or did you soder each wire connection?

Have you seen any leaks around the edge seal?

I just crimped the pins of the Molex connector onto the wires.   And so far no leaks when I water tested it. 

  • Like 4

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4x4, 6.2L Flex-Fuel engine 

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

visited-united-states-map.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never would have thought to do this until I read your post and now I feel I must do it. And I can, thanks to your super detailed instructions with parts and photos. 

  • Like 4

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love this..wish I would have done this after repairing the courtesy/puddle light in the bathroom!  Great work and on my list too!

  • Like 3

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a  fantastic mod.  Both your work and your documentation for us all is super!  Thank You!

  • Like 2

Mike & Marianne, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #TBD - pick up FEB 2023

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, Frank C said:

Link is in the original post. 

Frank,  What bit did you use to chamfer the holes in the fiberglass?  Also, I assume you did that step before you enlarged the hole to 1/4"? 

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, hobo said:

Frank,  What bit did you use to chamfer the holes in the fiberglass?  Also, I assume you did that step before you enlarged the hole to 1/4"? 

Countersinking/chamfering drill bits are available at any hardware store (Lowe's, etc.).   And yes, holes were chamfered with the countersinking bit before enlarging the hole diameter (see photos in original post for sequence of steps).

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4x4, 6.2L Flex-Fuel engine 

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

visited-united-states-map.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Countersinking/chamfering bits are available at any hardware store (Lowe's, etc.).   And yes, holes were chamfered with the countersinking bit before enlarging the hole diameter (see photos in original post for sequence of steps).

Thanks.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, hobo said:

Thanks.

Here’s a picture of the type of countersinking bit I used first on the fiberglass to clean up/chamfer the gel coat surface.  This one has a small enough diameter drill bit (1/8”) to fit through the original hole, so only the chamfered section of the bit touched the fiberglass to create the chamfered edge on the gel coat layer.   Then after chamfering I used a 1/4” bit to open up the clearance hole through the fiberglass. 
 

8A8A5FBE-14E0-4050-9E49-CBFAB81302CA.jpeg

  • Like 1

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4x4, 6.2L Flex-Fuel engine 

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

visited-united-states-map.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Here’s a picture of the type of countersinking bit I used first on the fiberglass to clean up/chamfer the gel coat surface.  This one has a small enough diameter drill bit (1/8”) to fit through the original hole, so only the chamfered section of the bit touched the fiberglass to create the chamfered edge on the gel coat layer.   Then after chamfering I used a 1/4” bit to open up the clearance hole through the fiberglass. 
 

8A8A5FBE-14E0-4050-9E49-CBFAB81302CA.jpeg

Thanks for the pic.  Perfect.

  • Like 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...