Cross Country Trip

csevel

Hello my Ollie friends!

Haven't been hanging out here much due to the lovely winter weather we get to endure here in the Northeast.  My ILOVHER is tucked nicely away under her cover waiting to go somewhere maybe mid March.   My son, however, is a traveling ER nurse and has taken a contract in Madera, California at a Pediatric ER.   He has been traveling for three years, an ER nurse for six and has just returned from a three month stint in Guam!  This Sunday he leaves again with his 25' Coachman Apex in tow..  He just purchased a '23 Ram Power Wagon and is looking forward to some boondocking adventures.   Attached is a RV trip wizard map of the route he's planning.   For all of you cross country travelers, do you have any must-see stops, attractions and/or campground/boondocking sites that you could recommend?  Any route modifications you would suggest?  I wish I could follow him in the ILOVHER but other obligations prevent it and I'd never want salt to touch her!  Thank you for any help!

*As suggested here my son loves Nature, Off-Roading, Fishing Nut ~including fly, Hiking and Interesting Scenery, Photography, Rafting...the whole shebang!

Screenshot (3).png

Edited by csevel
editing for interests
  • Like 4

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

If he’s an aerospace fan, the Thomas Stafford museum in Weatherford Oklahoma is a great stop, just off of I40, and it’s also a Harvest Host location.  We did an overnight stop there on one of our long cross country trips.   The Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo TX is still a popular stop but the cars are covered in graffiti now and pretty well stripped of most parts.  

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3aee289e54ea70312fafe0e1129ee1.jpeg

754DD3AA-9DC1-4010-ABC7-0F9CC6CB1382.jpeg

• Like 3

It'd be helpful to know his special interests before suggesting places.  If he likes a really good port, I'd suggest Ficklins - it's in Madera.

Charlie.

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

8 hours ago, csevel said:

Hello my Ollie friends!

Haven't been hanging out here much due to the lovely winter weather we get to endure here in the Northeast.  My ILOVHER is tucked nicely away under her cover waiting to go somewhere maybe mid March.   My son, however, is a traveling ER nurse and has taken a contract in Madera, California at a Pediatric ER.   He has been traveling for three years, an ER nurse for six and has just returned from a three month stint in Guam!  This Sunday he leaves again with his 25' Coachman Apex in tow..  He just purchased a '23 Ram Power Wagon and is looking forward to some boondocking adventures.   Attached is a RV trip wizard map of the route he's planning.   For all of you cross country travelers, do you have any must-see stops, attractions and/or campground/boondocking sites that you could recommend?  Any route modifications you would suggest?  I wish I could follow him in the ILOVHER but other obligations prevent it and I'd never want salt to touch her!  Thank you for any help!

*As suggested here my son loves Nature, Off-Roading, Fishing Nut ~including fly, Hiking and Interesting Scenery, Photography, Rafting...the whole shebang!

Screenshot (3).png

If he doesn't already have the app, he should consider HipCamp. He'll be about 60 miles from the Grand Canyon south rim, if he hasn't been there then it's absolutely worth the effort. About half way between i 40 and the entrance is a Hipcamp named Eagle #1, Free Man Camp. We stayed there, they have full hook ups and multiple sites, also pull through sites. You access the place via a forest road which seemed a bit sketchy and a little wash-boardy, but once you arrive it was absolutely worth the effort, and it's only about 30-40 minutes from the park entrance. Even if he just stops on the way through and doesn't spend the night he will be thankful for the experience. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

• Moderator+
7 hours ago, CnC said:

It'd be helpful to know his special interests before suggesting places.  If he likes a really good port, I'd suggest Ficklins - it's in Madera.

Charlie.

The Shanghai Port, owned by the Shanghai International Port Company Ltd, topped the list as the busiest port in the world in 2022.

Oh wait, you probably meant wine...Sorry.  😁

• Haha 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
8 hours ago, csevel said:

...My son, however, is a traveling ER nurse and has taken a contract in Madera, California at a Pediatric ER...I wish I could follow him in the ILOVHER but other obligations prevent it and I'd never want salt to touch her!

Screenshot (3).png

Madera, California is over a hundred miles from the closest salt water. A trip along I-40 this time of year might be a little sketchy due to weather in the higher elevations near Flagstaff. Be careful and stay safe out there. I always wished there were opportunities for traveling Pharmacists, but state laws prevent us from working in any state that we are not licensed in. It requires a lot of money and time to reciprocate our dispensing and narcotic licenses and take the law exam in another state. Nursing requirements are different and most states will recognize a nursing license from another state.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Santa Rosa Lake State Park in Santa Rosa, New Mexico provides a scenic and affordable place to stay in Eastern New Mexico not far off I-40.  There are good hiking trails that take off right from the campground with nice views of the lake.

I second the recommendation to see the Grand Canyon, if possible, when near Flagstaff, Arizona on I-40.  As mentioned by AlbertnTerri above, since the north rim will likely be snowed in this time of year, he will need to drive out of his way to get to the south rim.  Worth the drive, IMHO.  It offers some of the most spectacular hiking in the world.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

If he doesn’t have it downloaded yet, the iOverlander app has proven extremely useful to me for finding boondocking spots (BLM land, National Forest campgrounds, State land and Wildlife preserves that allow camping.). There is no cost for the app and it shows not only boondocking sites but also established campgrounds, dump and water sites, truck stops and Walmarts etc

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators

I know I've posted this before but ....

The last time we were at Valley of Fire we were temporarily delayed at the entrance to the park because they were shooting a film involving a high speed car chases with three super powerful sports cars.  The sound, the helicopter, the speed all combined for a great show.  I think that the movie was called - Redline.  Don't bother looking it up in that the movie is not worth your time.🙃

Bill  

p.s.  not the animated version from 2009 or so but the real life version from around 2007

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780595/mediaviewer/rm2211511297?ref_=ttmi_mi_all_sf_41

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 1/15/2023 at 7:50 PM, taylor.coyote said:

valley of fire  45 minutes north of las vegas is an amazing place. also red rocks is worth taking a day to tour (no a place to camp at red rocks)

taylor.coyote,

Beautiful photos and great info. It makes you wonder how those big horned sheep can survive in the desert.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

So, @csevel, I  am guessing your son is on the road. How's he doing? Which route did he choose?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.