Customer design input-Larger Ollie

BackofBeyond

So I'm sitting around recuperating from a shoulder surgery (I'm not good at resting) and as I look out my window, wistfully thinking about my Legacy EII, I started mentally designing a longer/larger Ollie. With all the owner input from this forum I would imagine O management would end up with a really desirable model - Legacy EIII....owners edition.

I'm thinking - add about 3-4 feet in length, and perhaps a foot to the width -Does fiberglass construction support this - I would think so- probably add several hundred LBS. Set a 6-6.5k  dry weight target, perhaps a 8.5k max limit, keep it dual axle. As for details -well- I might do something with the wet bath - but I really don't mind the current set-up. One thing I would do - is redesign the sleeping arraignment. Offer one floorplan - a twin bed/convertible setup that allows for increase sleeping area - sideways or lengthwise-yet sets up very nicely for day use as a sitting/lounging/media area. Maybe increase counter length in the sink area - turn the cooktop 90 degrees.  Otherwise, I'm in good staid with my Ollie. Sure there is a few things to think about - but I want to hear your input

What would you Ollie owners design. Given a blank slate - what would you add, subtract, or redesign.

Now - back to regular programming.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

In my mind's eye, my perfect Oliver Trailer would only be 1.5 to 2 feet longer with no difference to the width.  It would have a side to side Queen sized bed (think standard plan, but with a queen set up).   The spaces gained between the stove/pantry would have a drawer each for added storage with tops being night stands.  The new extra length would be used to have a bit larger fridge/freezer, a bit more space in the kitchen area,  moving the closet to the drivers side...basically keeping the new length in the living/dining/kitchen area.  The bath would now span the width of the front of the trailer giving the space to have a bit larger shower area.  The microwave would need to be moved because the larger fridge would be taller, but there would be plenty of area to do this in the kitchen.  Or, for those of us who never quite got the point of a microwave, perhaps a stove/oven combo using propane.   For those who love to be out and about in nature, the larger fridge and an oven may prove to make booning time longer without the need to restock.  The larger bath is strictly a comfort thing.  I don't believe these changes would affect the tank sizes, the air conditioner size, the need for more batteries, or much else but a longer base on which to rest.  I hope your shoulder heals up well and soon.

• Moderators

While at the Mothership last week Scott Oliver stopped to chat for a few minutes in the parking lot of the Sales Office.  One of the topics we discussed was the plans for the new larger Oliver.  Scott told me that indeed they were working on such an animal and that they were trying very hard to release information on it certainly no later than December, 2019 and hopefully earlier.

So, knowing that the Owner's Forum is formally discussed at least on a weekly basis by the Oliver management team, any ideas that anyone has for this model should be put forth and probably sooner would be better than later.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have spoken to several potential owners. they all indicated that a little extra volume would be welcome.

One suggestion was to design a mini fifth wheel with a queen berth on top. It would be ultra maneuverable and a lot of folks just do not want a bumper pull trailer. I think a hull the length of the current II, with a little extra overall width and a high sleeping area, would be extremely cool and sell like hotcakes. Like this Escape but a little longer.

Story1.jpg.222a20bb588317e2fdcb1f3b7a09a01a.jpg

It would need to use the area where the rear bed used to be for cargo,  since you lose the use of much of the truck bed. A full width, double access storage area right aft would compensate for the lost room. You could have another outside access storage area up front, to help balance the load.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I think if they are going bigger they will be trying to capture another segment of the market which could be families.

Some possibilities:

- Fixed queen bed.

- Bunk beds with lower bed that converts to sofa or both bunks flipped up for wardrobe.

- Euro style “tube” slide for either of the above.

- Larger compressor fridge.

- Option for more solar and with tilting panels.

- LiFe battery option.

- Efoy.

- 6” wider body.

- Larger fresh and holding tanks. (There’s lots of space in the bilges)

- Optional AC in basement (like offered on some class Bs) or even use the attic.

- More basement storage.

Maybe some of this will happen but for now back to reality...

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

You guys are killing me. I am all excited to pickup my first travel trailer (EII) in April2019 and now you guys are dreaming of a larger size? But, for only the two of us soon-to-be retired couple, an important consideration (in my mind) is ease of towing, setup, handling, and off-grid enjoyment. A larger (wider) travel trailer, especially 5th wheel, might be more than I want to handle. I did look seriously at Airstreams and thought much about the extra room, but, complaints about quality and the slightly larger towing burden were factors in deciding to purchase an Oliver. I can see where a "family market" would be served by a larger design. Seems the Oliver Elite II is just right for what I need at this stage of life.

• Thanks 2

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

I think I fit the same target market that kwrjrpe fits into, just my wife and I (and the dog). I remember watching an Airstream youtube couple video - they had started with the large 30 footer then downsized to a 27 and wished they had downsized to a 25. My wife set the length restriction - must fit on the 26ft driveway...don't you dare pay a monthly storage fee.

The legal papers are almost finalized, so my 2nd and much larger than my 1st cash infusion will be coming in soon. All good things come in good time.

Note: I worked for a short time as a service advisor at an Airstream dealership...fortunately my wife was not impressed with the Airstreams she looked at.

First the truck, then the trailer, because the length and weight of the trailer is settled.

I like the size of the current LEII, but would really like a larger fridge. We rarely use the microwave, so I would be willing to have that space put to use for the fridge.

Marsha

If you switch to a DC compressor fridge you will gain a lot of volume. The Novacool unit I am interested in is smaller in height by about three inches, with 50% more usable interior space.

There are more advantages to a compressor fridge than just saving propane.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I keep coming back to this thread because being a full timer, I just don't see the need for bigger. Sure I could have bought that Airstream 27fb or the 27' Bigfoot, but then the ease and mobility that we have now, is gone. Our friend that we travel with sometimes has the 27' Bigfoot, and it is nice, but he just can't go where we can with ours because that extra width and length really cut down on the places that he can boondock. Plus he has to have that larger 3/4 ton truck to pull his with, that we just don't need. The only thing that we would change is adding a 7cubic ft fridge option and that's it. For us, having the ice chest in the front to hold our drinks works just fine and with a different box in the front, one of the AC/DC ice chests is something that we have thought about. So, longer & wider? No thanks! Then we would need 2 trailers, one for the rare occasion that would sit in storage mostly and then the Olli that we live in daily :)

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I'm thinking the same as Maniac as a possible location for bunks.  To put bunks in the side dinette location you really need about 6" more width and a new window covering would be required as the current shade/ frame sticks out too far. - Randy

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

• Moderators

Some kind of  bunk option, I'd  agree.

I think a bigger trailer needs a bigger fridge, with a separate freezer . Around 7 cubic feet. Off the floor, with a cabinet underneath for  trash and whisk broom, etc.

Someday,  I'd really love to have an oven. We always have one in the delivery  rvs, even the small 24 footers. Since we mostly camp in cool and cold weather,  the heat is welcome . I  don't use a microwave.

I keep looking for a campervan oven option... not likely to find something to fit our little 2008. But, I can dream. Or get a portable camp unit.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I think there would be a market for a larger Ollie with a dry bath and permanent queen bed. It would be a heavier trailer and not quite as suited to go where we can currently go. The extra weight would require a capable tow vehicle. The wet bath was an initial hesitation point for us and probably turns some folks away. After over 30K miles I wouldn’t want anything different, what we have is just the right size for us! Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since I have read anything on the forum having to do with a larger OEIII.  Seems that most owners wouldn't want too much more than 2-3 feet added.  Dry bath, queen bed (60x80), larger refrigerator,  a stove/oven combo, and a fold down bunk over dinette to add another sleeping option that would give options for four.  Any credible scuttlebutt floating around??

• Moderators

If there is any "stuff" floating around, I'd imagine that it will surface at the Owner's Rally.  Other than that I've not heard a word.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I understand the want for other floor plans, we have a Casita and an Elite II on order at this time with a July 8th delivery date for the Oliver. On the Casita forum Casita owners are constantly asking for a 21 foot Casita, but like most fiberglass trailers these plants are at a 3-6 month wait time just for you to get a trailer. As a manufacture of these trailers would you want to add another trailer line that would just in dollars be very costly to the manufacture, I would think not.  I've never thought the Oliver as being an family trailer, that is sleeping 4 people, as well as the Casita. I guess the Oliver could put bunk beds in over the twin bed models, at what cost for the new molds I have no idea, but just to add new options like that probably won't add many more sales to the bottom line and I would think not cost effective. Personally it I owned a fiberglass trailer manufacturing company that is one of the big five I would be smiling all the way to the bank everyday and probably not want to change what I have a the present time. Remember RV sales are good today, but like anything else sales go up and down depending on what the economy is doing, tomorrow it may change. Remember also that Oliver went through a time period like this and they were in a position to recover, most would have been gone for good, thank goodness for good planing by the Oliver family.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Took delivery of our Elite II on Thursday and spoke to one of the employees about the bigger Oliver being discussed.

Totally unofficial of course but in his mind, they were thinking of a trailer for the "family" customers that needed room for not just a couple but also with kids, dogs, etc.  This is not aimed at the couples like us that want modest size, but high quality.  This is for those that want a high quality, full size trailer.

He mentioned they were thinking a 28 foot, 8 to 8.5 wide trailer with a slide out.  Now that's a serious trailer which is clearly aimed at a different customer base than most of the current Oliver owners.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Not in favor of slide outs, especially in a fiberglass trailer. Airstream tried slide outs for a few years and quit due to reliability and repair issues. An 8’ wide and longer Oliver would be plenty big enough for a family. Look at the 25’ Bigfoot.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Slide out(s) hold no appeal for me either.   Three feet longer would still fit into most sites and could be family friendly.  I believe what most customers would love to see in Ollie III is a larger fridge/freezer, a dry bath, a queen sized bed that could be left made up as a bed, and a stove/oven combo.  Reinventing itself isn't what customers want, IMHO.  Just a bit longer with a few more conveniences.  I love the convection option added!  Truly a great option for those who love to or have to do their own cooking.  The Airstream FC 26RBT or 26RBQ has a wonderful floor plan, BUT is an Airstream with all the worries that they bring but Olivers don't.  The best selling point that Oliver has (or any RV manufacturer could have) is quality coupled with durability.  And Olivers are appealing and beautiful to the eye!!  A natural progression in size would be so welcomed by customers, as long as they don't mess with the "pretty" that Oliver brings!

I think there is another reason that Oliver will ultimately have to come out with a new model.  It is that as they build and sell a goodly number of Elite I & II’s, the resale of used Elites will begin to cannibalize the sale of new units.  We saw this with Island Packet yachts when we were sailing.  Island Packet was a very successful boat builder, and they kept the appetite up for new boats by replacing current models with new models after a 5 or 6 year run for a given model.  The new model in a given length would have more bells and whistles, so that would be the one you would want.  I think we are seeing more ads for used Ollies than we used to, so it may be starting now.  Food for thought.

John Shkor, SailorsAshore

Airplane manufacturers do it all the time. They cut it, pull it apart and insert a plug in the middle.  Voila, an extra 20 fare paying seats. Personally I could use an extra 3” on the length of the twin beds. And a propane fired oven would be nice. The width is perfect for towing.  I really like the fact that the Ollie’s tires track in line with my vans tires and it is so easy to see past the trailer. I bought my Ollie for traveling. If I was just going to be stationary for months at a time, I probably would have looked for a fifth wheel.

• Moderators

Sailorashore,

We had a number of friends at Islad Packet. Did you know Warren?

Great boats. They lost a lot in the downturn.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.