Does Oliver have a 2” ALUMINUM receiver that can replace the 1.25 receiver for a 2” bicycle rack, on my 2022 Elite II?

On 7/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Wow, good catch! I've never seen that before.

I’ve been using that rack for a few years on my Casita and now Oliver. No issues, but rarely loaded beyond 30-60 lbs. 

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderator+
On 7/20/2022 at 12:02 PM, snakeriveridaho said:

I totally agree. OTT needs to put a good 2 inch receiver on and then tell the trailer buyers the limitations. A 1.25 hitch is ridiculous. 

This is how the current situation got started. Years ago, Oliver’s sales manager asked me to come up with a design for a bike rack. I did and they built a good 2” rack that could handle any two bikes. They informed all buyers of the rack its weight limitations and even had a sticker stating that information proudly displayed on each rack. 

Oliver built a bunch of these units with my design but ultimately changed it to the current rack first with a 2” receiver then moving down to a 1-1/4” receiver due to “the incident.”

Much like the general population, there are a few owners that don’t necessarily read and follow directions. One owner didn’t. He bought one of the racks with the 2” receiver and, although I don’t know exactly what happened, I can imagine him installing one of those flat racks you see hanging off the tail end of a vehicle. He probably loaded a cooler of ice and beer on one end and a plastic tote of whatever beside it, put a coupe of bungees around it and called it good. 

Somewhere along his way everything proceeds to turn to shite. He complains to Oliver that his expensive rack didn’t meet his expectations, they wonder how it failed if it hadn’t been overloaded, he swears it couldn’t have been, one thing leads to another and here we are…

I’ll be happy to share my design with anyone. Although I don’t carry bikes on it, I’ve used it on the rear of our Hull #050 many times carrying upwards of 200 pounds. I’ve never had an issue with it. 

• Like 7

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I’ll be happy to share my design with anyone.

Thanks for that information ScubaRx. I would love to see your design. I definitely want to have a 2 inch receiver. I app your post! 
Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

I would like to say here that Oliver will probably not be much help on a 2" receiver as there hitch 1 1/4" was designed for certain amount of weight and going to a 2" receiver is going to let owners overload there designed hitch assembly. Plus I see in many of the pics that many extend there assembly by some two plus feet beyond the hitch assembly, I would think this would put much more stress on the assembly then Oliver designed it for. I see no problem with a 2" receiver, but you still have to control your weight and what you are doing.

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

10 minutes ago, Trainman said:

2" receiver as there hitch 1 1/4" was designed for certain amount of weight and going to a 2" receiver is going to let owners overload there designed hitch as

Hi Trainman,

I thought the hitch was originally designed for a two inch receiver and OTT put in an insert to decrease it to one and a quarter. I believe some owners have knocked out the insert and used it as a two inch receiver. Without an extender and with a light load that might be okay. Two of our bike have a combined weight of 31 to 45 pounds. I may want to reinforce the receiver, but I definitely plan on changing to a 2 inch receiver and doing it safely.🙂

Kirk 

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

45 minutes ago, snakeriveridaho said:

some owners have knocked out the insert and used it as a two inch receiver. Without an extender and with a light load that might be okay.

Might be. From an engineering standpoint it is a very bad idea…. The factory design has 0.5” wall thickness. 1/4” wall thickness is inadequate, especially if you install a 1-Up rack which uses an internal steel ball as a rocker stopper. That will eventually wreck the aluminum. If an owner insists on using a knocked out receiver, please, always add a stout cable lock around the bikes and crossbar, in case it all departs unexpectedly. It is easy to bolt on a steel receiver so there are no worries.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

48 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

From an engineering standpoint it is a very bad idea

Thanks for your reply John. I am planning on using the receiver you mentioned in a previous post and pairing it with a 1-up rack, 

8715F071-895F-4A1E-858C-04C44C4B972B.thumb.jpeg.5b7cdc72a53b2f6a4b17d199cf6bb460.jpeg

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

On 7/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, Ollietime said:

But wait, there's more...

• Rated for vehicles including motorized RV and off-road use; not approved for trailer use including travel trailers and fifth wheels.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Let-s-Go-AeroBikeWing-2-Two-Bike-Carrier-Rack-p/b01311.htm

this is the rack I use.  On their website they state that it IS rated for read of trailer use, so long as used in a 1.25" receiver and not with the adapter in a 2" receiver.

https://letsgoaero.com/bikewing-2-nextgen-tilting-two-bike-rack/

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW