HOW TO: Drawers: remove and reinstall your galley and end table drawers, fix loose or stripped screws, and glue the bottoms for extra strength

These drawers are not at all intuitive when it comes to taking them out of the galley cabinet. It is dead easy if you pretend that you are a simpleton and don't over think things... . Stand over the end of the open drawer, reach under the sides at the very front with both hands. Put your fingers underneath on the inner edge of the orange release thingies and squeeze, move your fingers toward your palms. The latches will release and you can lift the drawer up and out, away from the slides, which will probably spring back out of sight. That is the "self closing" feature at work. Here is what is going on:

IMG_7383.thumb.jpeg.16d5b5527b25696814065f283dc07d3a.jpeg

IMG_7384.thumb.jpeg.425afef4d95df3fd257af97450eea918.jpeg

The drawer is held to the latch assembly by two TINY SHORT screws. They are known to strip out the soft wood. Sometimes you will find the drawer lying up by the bathroom door with spatulas and other stuff scattered everywhere. Tighten them gently, they will move! If they are stripped, install longer ones. FYI this is a six year old drawer, Oliver may have altered these parts. For example, mine don't have the inner safety latches. Note that you might want to wear disposable gloves.

EDIT: one member installed 1” long screws, driven into new holes at an angle, and found that to be a very solid way to do this.

IMG_7387.thumb.jpeg.05ed19384e0ab07143810323066aa35b.jpeg

Here is the end of the slide, showing the opening that catches the latch.

IMG_7388.thumb.jpeg.2e31d90ba36835aba859130c69ba1136.jpeg

THIS IS SO VERY COOL! I just discovered it after all these years.... On the bottom of each slide, about 5 inches in from the end, is a tiny pin that sticks down. When reinstalling the drawer, you can use it to pull the slide outwards until it clicks into the latch. It keeps your fingers away from the grease too.

IMG_7389.thumb.jpeg.818d86771f667f207fd324290c6da0f3.jpeg

Finally, you can flip each drawer and lay a thin bead of wood glue around the joint between the bottom and the sides and let it sit overnight. It will dry almost clear, so don't worry about minor mistakes. Plus nobody but you will ever know. I do not recommend gluing the inside of the drawers, that will show and it also has some sort of protective clear coat, so the glue might not stick.

IMG_7377.thumb.jpeg.64fa9e4287ab95c4a93ead74d44fd2c9.jpeg

This thread is very much related: ... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2151-how-to-galley-drawer-travel-straps/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Here is a pic from that other thread showing how the screws can pull out of the front part of the drawer.

92597545-4CB4-4CB0-A9C3-3A4A6342C250.thumb.jpeg.39f7771a087d4bbc177ba68f9734aaf5.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA 

• Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

John,

Useful advice on dealing with the drawer releases.  However, I suggest NOT glueing the bottoms of the drawers to the sides.  The drawer bottoms typically rest in a groove in the drawer frame and are purposely NOT glued to permit movement of the wood as temperature and more importantly, humidity vary.

• Like 4

North Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #TBD, scheduled delivery 1/7/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

18 minutes ago, dhaig said:

However, I suggest NOT glueing the bottoms of the drawers to the sides.  The drawer bottoms typically rest in a groove in the drawer frame and are purposely NOT glued to permit movement of the wood as temperature and more importantly, humidity vary.

That is an important consideration, definitely. In this case I am not concerned since the drawer sides and bottoms are both made from wood. If they were different materials, then definitely do not glue. I think this is one of those situations where you have to decide whether you want the bottom to bow down and perhaps fall out of a groove, or stay in place and possibly crack. If an owner is concerned, he can Google “floating drawer bottom”, do some reading in the woodworkers forums, and decide for himself. 

BTW, I live in, and generally camp in, an arid part of the country, so prolonged high humidly or dramatic moisture changes is rarely a worry. And a couple of my drawers are quite heavily loaded, they are not all filled with plastic utensils or lightweight personal items. 

Thanks very much for the comment.

John Davies

Spokane WA