Cleaning the oliver

DJM

I Just power washed the Oliver after a month long trip. Took longer than I expected but looks good. Two questions. 1 Do those who wax their Oliver wax the roof. Seems like I should since that is where the heaviest dirt is.  But then that is a headache to work up there. 

2. How do you remove the  black streaks that develop from water running across the insulation for the lights? 

DJM 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DJM said:

I Just power washed the Oliver after a month long trip. Took longer than I expected but looks good. Two questions. 1 Do those who wax their Oliver wax the roof. Seems like I should since that is where the heaviest dirt is.  But then that is a headache to work up there. 

2. How do you remove the  black streaks that develop from water running across the insulation for the lights? 

DJM 

Yes, I wash and wax the roof.

When I was experiencing the black streaks waxing removed them if I recall correctly.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

You can use Star Brite Instant Black Streak Remover Boat Cleaner, If any lingering marks are left the wax will remove them.

• Like 1

Sue & Harold

Oliver Elite II Twin bed,  Hull #508, Ram 2500

States Visited Map                    

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DJM said:

Overland,

Is that Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure. ? D. 

Yes.  Sealing gaskets isn't what it's made for, but someone here tried it a few years back and found that it does the trick.  I sealed mine I think early 2018 and haven't had to redo it yet.  

• Like 3

❄️🏈

• Moderators
18 hours ago, 1Lessworker said:

You can use Star Brite Instant Black Streak Remover Boat Cleaner, If any lingering marks are left the wax will remove them.

You can also use Duragloss black streak remover (or several other brands).

Oliver Service now stocks and sells Duragloss products and are big fans of this black streak remover.  They even use it for cleaning up that big shiny floor in the new Sales area.

Bill

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

States we have visited overnight:

CTKYMEMANHNYOHPARITNVTWVmed.jpg

• Moderators

@wolfdds, that's interesting  news on spray 9. Thanks. I've never used it.

Somehow,  I've missed it in Practical Sailor reports. It's always done well. Cruising forums report marine and household formulas to be similar/same. Practical Sailor warns against use on glass and lcd, so I'd be very careful to not get it on surfaces other than the fiberglass, and make sure to rinse well, as you do. 

(Marine formula is as typical, 2 to 3 x the price... household formula is under $5 at my local Lowe's)

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/marine-maintenance-multi-purpose-cleaners-test

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

At the end of the season, I'll use a "Clay bar" with a lubricant (Maguires makes a great kit), then wax with "Rejex".

The "clay bar" will remove a lot of grime you don't notice, but you feel; slide your fingers over the fiberglass.

Using the "clay bar" produces a smooth surface to be waxed over. I highly recommend this procedure for the roof section. The roof takes the biggest beating and accumulates the most road/camping dirt. At least up there you're working horizontally. Take your time, it doesn't take that long. When you're finished you really get that "warm fuzzy feeling" knowing you're done! Sure makes a significant difference with the gelcoat over time.

Try the "clay bar". It truly does not take that much extra effort and produces a superior surface to cover with wax.

Best, E

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, permit bob said:

Try the "clay bar". It truly does not take that much extra effort and produces a superior surface to cover with wax.

I’ve used the clay bar on a couple of cars.  In fact, I was just thinking about using it on my Audi, after the last wax it didn’t have that smooth feel when I ran my hand over the paint.  The Oliver is a lot more surface area but it does a great job of removing surface issues.  Good idea!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I always clay bar if tar remover won’t get it baby butt smooth, it looks fantastic afterwards, but boy is it slippery! As the old cop used to say on Hill Street Blues “ Be careful out there!”

John Davies 

Spokane WA

• Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Re the black streaks, I tried a black streak remover but found using a "cleaner wax" (I used Collinate #920) required much less elbow grease. Even though the cleaner wax made Ollie look good, I followed up with a good paste wax (#885) to really boost her shine & protection. 

• Like 2
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2017 F-150 Lariat 3.5 EB 4x4 Lakeland, FL