This is such a great story, I've moved it out of the Classifieds (originally Titled: Looking to buy an Ollie)

angler

My 2008 Ollie (hull #27) was stolen 2+ weeks ago, and I'm really bummed out. Starting the search for a replacement and happy to look at any used model that I can continue to pull with my Nissan Xterra (rated tow weight 5,000 lbs). If you are selling or know of an available one, please let me know.

7B6A7217-D1C9-4161-A951-6DABA84FC845.jpeg

• Care 1
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 10

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I am so very sorry to hear that. This is the first stolen Oliver I've ever heard of.

I'll watch for you. I remember your posts from the old days. (2008-9). I'm totally bummed out for you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, angler said:

My 2008 Ollie (hull #27) was stolen 2+ weeks ago, and I'm really bummed out. Starting the search for a replacement and happy to look at any used model that I can continue to pull with my Nissan Xterra (rated tow weight 5,000 lbs). If you are selling or know of an available one, please let me know.

7B6A7217-D1C9-4161-A951-6DABA84FC845.jpeg

I’m so sorry!😢

Where was it stolen? 

• Care 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

@anglerWow..😔This is the first time I have read about an Oliver being stolen. It’s sad to hear about your news. I hope that you are made whole by your insurance company and that the thieves are caught and swiftly brought to justice. If I see or hear about an Oliver for sale I will PM you with information. 
If and only when you are comfortable doing so would you consider sharing the details of how this theft occurred?. This information could really help other owners with situational awareness, as well as step up of additional security of their Olivers. If you have not already done so, I suggest you inform Oliver TT of this theft as well. 

Hang in there, stay positive, surely good will over come evil. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

This seems pretty high risk for a thief. Probably don't realize how rare the LE1 is and that we are a well connected community. It has no scrap value, and using it regularly in public would be very risky. Maybe it will turn up and somehow you will get it back. Unfortunately if it does it will probably be way down the road. 

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• 3 weeks later...

Hoorah. Ollie lives! Stolen rig returned!  Police found it behind a stolen tow vehicle behind a locked gate (locks cut) in a rancher's field less than a mile from the police station.  It was stuck in the mud and two people who had been living in it had gone out to get a friend to help them get out of the mud when the rancher arrived, and the thieves raced away.  Police didn't catch them, but they did find identifying evidence (jail release papers) and opioid detox meds from the jail pharmacy for one of them. Of course, most of my gear was stolen, and a lot of their stuff was in it. Thank goodness for the fiberglass inner hull which will make it much easier to clean/sanitize.  There's work to do: negotiating with insurance, broken off stabilizer jack to replace, spray paint on the hull, stolen spare tire and fiberglass cover, destroyed door lock, wrecked entry stair and scratches on the hull, plus cleaning, fumigating and replacing contents, but we will be on the road again this spring and summer.

So here's my question: fourteen years in my driveway in a big city, and never messed with before. Reasonable quality hitch lock and motion detector lights.  What all do you folks recommend as security systems. You can bet I am paranoid, and short of trying to build an enclosure, what do you folks do to keep your beloved rigs safe?

Thanks, Angler, Hull #27

470257C6-C213-48CD-8B61-9549EEBF0A7F.heic 502D75D4-929A-499C-A8A7-E01237E6022A.heic

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Wow 4

Congratulation on the recovery of your Oliver!

We have this hitch lock. I believe several owners on the forum have purchased this type of lock. 

Model 2178 B – Best Trailer Locks Online

Good luck!

Kirk

• Like 10

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

Congrates on getting your Ollie back.  With a bit of work and help from the insurance company, it will look like new in no time.  If it were mine I'd strongly think about now being the time (with the insurance help) to do a ceramic coating.

Besides the lock that snakeriveridaho mentions above, there are all sorts of wheel locks and big chains that can go through the wheels and/or axle to attach the Ollie to something even more solid.  Unfortunately, if someone really wants to get it - they will.  All you can really do is have good insurance and try to slow them down a bit.

I'm sorry that you have had to go through this but I'm also happy that you have got your Ollie back!

Bill

• Like 7

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

49 minutes ago, snakeriveridaho said:

Congratulation on the recovery of your Oliver!

We have this hitch lock. I believe several owners on the forum have purchased this type of lock. 

Model 2178 B – Best Trailer Locks Online

Good luck!

Kirk

I have the same lock and also use a collar lock while towing.

John

• Like 5

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

My gut said if the thief planned to use it they would get caught. Great news that it's been recovered. I'm sure it's unsettling that these people have abused it but anything can be fixed and made new again. Congratulations!!

• Like 6

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

That is great news, I fixed your pics, HEIC files are not supported.

One super method of securing your trailer would be to buy a hitch dolly, and swing it around backwards when you park it long term. I don’t think most thieves would even consider taking it if they couldn’t hitch up easily.

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

CB033852-BEA6-4DA1-9263-D5F97F1B30F9.jpeg115DE566-E945-4316-9C66-0C059D8A367A.thumb.jpeg.6ee979f130c743ed95047e9b6c3bcb78.jpeg

Edited by mossemi
Rotate photo
  • Like 4
  • Wow 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

So glad your Ollie has been found.  Yaaay for MUD!  Looks like they wanted to paint her silver and disguise her as an Airstream. Haha. 

Fiberglass is a remarkably resilient product and with a lot of TLC, she'll be heading out to the fishing holes again, just like new.

• Like 6

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

@angler

Glad that your Ollie has been recovered and you at least you can now work on getting it back ship shape. Naturally you will want to go through ALL your systems and determine the extent of ALL damage done. As for additional security measures you could consider high end  security cameras along with your motion sensor lighting. If a thief wants anything bad enough they will likely succeed. Short of removing the wheels during storage there are no 💯 guarantees that it won’t be stolen again. Possibly find a local indoor storage garage? Out of sight out of mind.

Again glad to hear your happy ending with your Ollie recovery. I hope that your insurance company does everything in their power to make you whole again.👍🏻

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Hey Forum Pals,

I love all your comments. Thanks for the support, and it's great to have my rig back. Hopefully I will be on the road again in a month or so.  I have been looking at the Proven Industries lock that Snake River suggests.  My rig is about 30 miles away at the repair shop, so I can't easily look at it, but if my fading geriatric memory serves, it seems that the bulldog hitch is held to the frame by a single bolt. Does anyone know if the Proven Industries hitch lock covers this bolt or could the thieves simply unbolt the hitch and quickly attach their own to the rig.  It also looks like Proven Industries also makes a killer wheel lock. Any one have experience with it?

This theft has turned me a bit paranoid, and I have looked at a few videos of how easy it is to freeze (liquid nitrogen) or pick many of the low to moderately priced wheel locks.  I'd love to hear more people's thoughts on security.  Obviously the best is indoors and locked up, but I am not in a location where I can manage that.  Any one have experience with removable bollards in front of the rig?  I suspect that I will go with multiple items. Hitch lock, wheel lock or two, tracker, and perhaps pulling the pin to the brake locks so they are always on.  It's getting a bit over the top, but...

• Like 4

I would hope that the Proven Industries lock and a wheel lock with stop most future thiefs.

Hopefully the person(s) who stole your trailer were the type of person that comes along once in a lifetime.

Asking the repair shop their opinion of what to buy might help.

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

3 minutes ago, Nancy K. said:

The thief was not too bright to carry around jail release papers...

My Criminal Law professor in law school, Woody Deem, started each class session with the statement:  "Criminals are stupid."  He would then delight the class with real stories from his decades as the Ventura County California prosecuting attorney.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

21 hours ago, angler said:

I suspect I will go with multiple items, [including]...tracker

We have an Amcrest GPS GL300 tracker.  Whenever our Elite II is:  (1) away from its fully-enclosed storage shed next to our home, and (2) not connected to our tow vehicle, we turn the tracker on.  It requires a subscription fee, but we enjoy the peace of mind.  I have read anecdotal stores of such trackers being used by police to find stolen trailers.

In your shoes, I would leave the tracker on whenever it is parked in front of your home.

The tracker is in addition to two different kinds of Bulldog coupler locks, which we install when leaving the trailer at a campground unattended.

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

23 hours ago, angler said:

seems that the bulldog hitch is held to the frame by a single bolt

Our 2 5/16 bulldog is attached with two 3/4 in bolts. They aren’t covered by the Proven Industries lock. 
1313EADA-3281-4631-AFAC-345CAA94F8FD.thumb.jpeg.f5ea4f756f20c619e870c15775f9812e.jpeg

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

The Proven Industries Lock does not cover either of the two bolts on the 2" bull dog hitch.

I never thought about that being a weak point for protection of the Oliver, but I guess it could be.

On the other hand, do thiefs carry a bull dog hitch to install on a trailer after taking off the one that is locked? I hope that they are not that determined or smart.

Proven Lock 2.jpeg

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

46 minutes ago, dewdev said:

On the other hand, do thiefs carry a bull dog hitch to install on a trailer after taking off the one that is locked?

No, but any generic coupler could be attached. For that matter, I've mostly read of thieves simply looping the safety chains around a tow ball, and be gone!

• Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators

Thank you @John E Davies for posting the download photos. I couldn't open them.

@angler, I'd consult with Oliver on paint removal. Looks like  they were trying to turn your Ollie into an Airstream,  and ran out of time or paint.

So glad you were able to recover it. Best of luck!

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, snakeriveridaho said:

Our 2 5/16 bulldog is attached with two 3/4 in bolts. They aren’t covered by the Proven Industries lock. 

Yep - 

But, you can "bugger up" the nuts on those bolts so that they are very difficult to remove.

1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

For that matter, I've mostly read of thieves simply looping the safety chains around a tow ball, and be gone!

Buggered bolts or not - if they really want it, they will find a way to get it.  For instance - bring a flat bed and drag the Ollie onto it and drive away.  😰😞

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

So sorry this happened but glad you got your Ollie back.  I have hitch lock but have been thinking about throwing an AirTag somewhere  in the Ollie.  Might help find it faster if it ever goes missing and they are cheap enough to put a couple in the trailer.  

• Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package