2 in Bulldog coupler FAILED

It's interesting that this condition made it through all the Quality Control checks performed during the build process.  OTT may need to validate employee training associated with the BD install process, review their QC checklists, and at least brief employees regarding @rideadeuce's bullet-dodging experience.  

100% concur w/@Rivernerd's assessment - there's certainly a reimbursement on the radar screen for repair costs, IMO.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
35 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We used to carry a big wooden mallet to get the whale tail to behave - now, we've transitioned to simply back-off both nuts to the end of the threads, which lengthens the chains to the MAX, easily connect and pin the whale tail, then tighten the nuts with a dedicated ratchet & Anderson socket enough to expose 7 - 8 threads on both sides.  

Less of a PITA and NO more mallet!

I just started doing it this way too. I believe I get about 5 threads each side. 

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

1 minute ago, jd1923 said:

I believe I get about 5 threads each side. 

Roger, that.

Every rig likely doesn't have the exact same number of chain links.  7 to 8 threads, for us, applies just enough of a "squeeze" on the red bushing to keep the nuts from backing-off while towing.  We definitely check the nut tightness at our first stop - I've found them to loosen sometimes.

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I just visually inspected my 2" Bulldog Hitch and it appears solid. Even though our Ollie is a LE1, It has a 7000 lbs capacity rated coupler and It has the gusset which seems to be adequately welded (visually).

I am thankful for this thread to make me do this inspection and I'll be keeping an eye on it and how this issue gets resolved.

• Like 3
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

I just checked our 2022 LE2, 2" Bulldog. Ours is rated 7,000. Outside of surface rust, ours looks fine.  I intend on sanding rusted areas and applying Rustoleum in two (2) coats when we get home.

I need to check the underside for the guset. Update: guset is there

Edited by John Dorrer
Reworded
  • Like 5

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

I just submitted a ticket through service online to make them aware. I explained what happened with pics. I will post when I hear from them.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

2 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

looks like to me the wrong coupler was installed from the factory. 5k instead of the 7k coupler

You should send this to Oliver immediately, as well as filing an NHTSA report. There could be other Olivers out there with the wrong couplers. A recall notice should be issued for all Oliver E2 owners to check their couplers and OTT should replace any others that might be found. The NHTSA is important because OTT may not have contact information for some older trailers that have been resold.

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Duplicate. Sorry.

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 3/14/2024 at 12:08 PM, DavePhelps said:

I am seeing some things in the pics that are a little disturbing. Like in the above pics where there is rust in the center of the fracture and clean bright metal at the top and bottom. Maybe someone else can explain how this can happen

Dave Phelps post got me to thinking.  After taking a “Deeper Dive” into this rabbit hole, I have to admit that my salt water/ocean air hypothesis may be all wet.  Full disclosure:  I am not a metallurgist but with my slide rule, I can still do some structural analysis.  But in this case, I think the below interpretation may hold some water.  So, this certainly is NOT an official analysis of the cause of the failure. Just the musings of a member of the OTT Rabbit Hole Investigator Team.  😊

As stated in the initial report, the top metal of the Bull Dog (BD) was still somewhat intact after failure.  Had this metal also failed, we would be having a discussion about safety chains (Again).  But fortunately, that was not the case and there were no injuries.  Thank the Lord.

image.png.9c54f69f6798dad6ff31f542f6e29113.png

Also as reported, and from the below inverted picture, we can see older damaged metal (Rusted), and at time of collapse damaged metal (Shiny white metal).  This photo shows us that both sides were well compromised long before the failure event.    

CURB SIDE OF BD                                                                          STREET SIDE OF BD

image.png.87a1bc5131a1d198c87a4ee9e12f2561.png

But, as evident from the photo from the street side looking at the side of the BD, the street side was predominantly ripped apart during the failure event.  Whereas the curb side was damaged long enough in the past to be fully rusted.

TV END OF BD                                                                              OLLIE END OF BD

image.png.68fe660a6f21dfec5508a7c7db8da44a.png

So paraphrasing Dave P's. musing:  With or without the horizontal gusset how could this disparity in damage to the side metals happen?

But first, let’s “Dig” into what the purpose of "The Gussett" is and likely why BD added it to their 2" couplers.

Here is what they look like:

image.png.e11809ede8c4fd07d6d71d39e9470156.png

The gusset is located near the juncture of the BD round pipe and U-shaped metal attached to Ollie.  I believe that the purpose of a horizontal structural member (I.E. Gusset) is to reinforce the round to “U” shaped metals junction from being damaged by side horizontal loads.  From the posts, it appears that older BD 2" couplings did not have this reinforcing structural member.  I suspect after some lateral failures the design was beefed up to resist lateral loads by adding this gusset. 

When a box, round or square tube is lateral stressed by an impact load, the impacted side will go into compression and the opposite side will be stressed by tension.   

So historically for all BD couplers, with or without the gusset, what is the most likely event that would cause side wall cracks with such a disparity as seen above?  I think a side impact load.  And how would our OE2’s likely incur such an event?  By a backing jackknife event where the Oliver aluminum box strikes the bumper thereby bending the BD laterally.  

So, as a member of the TV dented bumper owners group, I’ll be under my BullDog with a flashlight FOR SURE. 

For extra points, which bumper would also been damaged? 

Your thoughts?

Geronimo John    

Edited by Geronimo John
typo
  • Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

4 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

he TV dented bumper owners group

I’m glad to know there are others in this group! I dented my bumper on my first trip 7 months ago on my way home with my new to me 2021 LE1,  turning too sharply on a Hipcamp lawn. I’d never towed before that trip and had no idea I could do that!!  
Thanks @Geronimo John!

Will check my bulldog for cracks! 

• Like 2

Geoff and Becca Chapman * Pittsburgh 

Legacy Elite 1 Hull #731 * TV GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8

• Moderators

Frankly, though i hate to admit it, after 16 seasons, we've put a few dimples in from jacknifing. 

Not the end of the world.  Usually. 

I've looked at the photos,  and I'd say rare manufacturer's defect, and  great catch, lucky you.

Bulldog is best of the best.  Imo.

We inspect ours each season, but no issues 16 years in.

I'm super glad no issues for you,,and your  family. That's a big relief.

Please do let bull dog know about your unique failure. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just as a suggestion, Oliver should use the 7,000 pound version for all of the trailers. There’d be no chance of mixing up the couplers and very little to no cost difference in the grand scheme of things. I have never heard of any of the Oliver couplers failing but…..

• Like 5

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

1 hour ago, mountainoliver said:

Just as a suggestion, Oliver should use the 7,000 pound version for all of the trailers.

The 2" Bulldog Coupler is rated at 7K.  The 2 5/16" BD coupler is rated 12,500.

The OTT OE2 Springs for years were rated at 7K.  The Broke Spring post is suggesting increasing the springs to 8K.  

Easy to confuse what we say with so many topics in the air right now.  🙂

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

The 2" Bulldog Coupler is rated at 7K.

For me and everyone who owns an OTT E2, the issue is the 2 in BD coupler comes in 5k and 7k versions. They look identical except for a small gusset at the neck welded internally. During the build of Hull 308, a 5k coupler was used on my E2 by mistake and it failed while on vacation with my family. 

Again, they look identical but the rating is shown on top of the ball end of the coupler. Everyone with an E2 needs to check theirs to make sure it is a 7k version and not a 5K.

Best, 

Mike

IMG_6750.thumb.jpeg.69f8fd050b84fe7d772dd28f47ed5eaf.jpeg

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 8

- Mike

Nashville, TN

10 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

For me and everyone who owns an OTT E2, the issue is the 2 in BD coupler comes in 5k and 7k versions. They look identical except for a small gusset at the neck welded internally. During the build of Hull 308, a 5k coupler was used on my E2 by mistake and it failed while on vacation with my family. 

Again, they look identical but the rating is stamped on top of the ball end of the coupler. Everyone with an E2 needs to check theirs to make sure it is a 7k version and not a 5K.

Best, 

Mike

IMG_6750.thumb.jpeg.69f8fd050b84fe7d772dd28f47ed5eaf.jpeg

So a 5000# BD hitch was installed where a 7000# BD hitch should have been installed.
Sounds like the cause of failure/issue has been identified.

I have not heard or read where any 7000# BD hitch has failed on an Oliver LEll. That said, all owners would be wise to periodically inspect their hitches for proper the weight rating and serviceability especially if you purchased an older preowned Oliver. 

Other than this I will continue towing with 💯 complete confidence in my present 7000# rated BD hitch. I feel sure Oliver will address this issue with any owners IF they have a 5000# BD on their LEll and make it right.

Again, glad you and your family are safe. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Now that we know that the coupler was basically misused (not user error) and repeatedly overloaded by almost 2000 pounds, I’m sure that the Bulldog folks will not provide any sort of warranty replacement. They may however be interested in knowing that their product held up for so long under adverse conditions. This is purely an Oliver oops moment in which everyone is extremely fortunate that nobody was hurt. Oliver may have some input on this issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, mountainoliver said:

Now that we know that the coupler was basically misused (not user error) and repeatedly overloaded by almost 2000 pounds, I’m sure that the Bulldog folks will not provide any sort of warranty replacement.

Dang it!  There goes my chance at a almost free 2-5/16" Bulldog upgrade.

Mossey

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

11 minutes ago, Townesw said:

Is the “5” in 5000 a raised or a stamped number?

It looks different but it is raised not stamped. 

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

8 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

Everyone with an E2 needs to check theirs to make sure it is a 7k version and not a 5K.

Good advice! I was able to pan in on a pic to confirm my BD. Also noticed your 5K is Hitch Class 3 (lll), whereas the 7K is Class 4 (lV).

IMG_6749.thumb.png.b624073b374546eaeee72f8d0dcce12f.png

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

Thanks for all the information.  This got me to take a closer look at our 2 5/16 BD.  Built a bit differently than the 7K. 
No gusset but more of the tubing inside.  Would not rate the welds at "great".

Is this similar to other's with 2 5/16?

image.png.2b8020cbec7ba0a969fdb4d030c3894f.png

image.png.a231e5c6be02a356c1617190d0982985.png

• Like 2

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

3 hours ago, mossemi said:

Dang it!  There goes my chance at a almost free 2-5/16" Bulldog upgrade.

Mossey

And that makes me wonder if there was any hidden damage beyond the damaged Proven Industries puck lock you took off my hands after my son backed into the puck lock/bull dog and knocked the front jack of the Andersen jack stand. I found nothing that stood out. It seems the puck lock took the punishment. In light of this thread it does raise concerns of hidden damage.  I will need to be diligent.

• Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

On 3/16/2024 at 5:21 AM, rideadeuce said:

Hey guys, I think I may have just figured out why this happened. If I am thinking about this correctly, looks like to me the wrong coupler was installed from the factory. 5k instead of the 7k coupler. Maybe one from the Elite I got put into the Elite II pile, they look identical, except for the notorious gusset.  Just noticed this when I was looking it over again. 

On 3/16/2024 at 5:29 AM, Rivernerd said:

It appears to me that Oliver owes you reimbursement for your replacement coupler.  I recommend you submit a service ticket.  Oliver has acted responsibly when advised of manufacturing errors in the past

wow.  Yep to both!  Glad we got that figured out!

GJ

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim and Frances said:

Is this similar to other's with 2 5/16?

Yes.  It is identical to the 2-5/16" Bulldog coupler mounted on our Hull #1291 by Oliver during manufacturing. 

See photo below.

BulldogCoupler.thumb.jpg.75a7e66821a57022a31d6f5d991dd4dc.jpg

I didn't know it when ordering, but there was little chance that a 2-5/16" coupler would be confused with a 2" coupler rated for only 5K lbs.  Another reason I like to overbuild.

Edited by Rivernerd
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg