Important Update about Oliver Service

16 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

The Oliver family would be wise to hold on to Jason with both hands to keep him at headquarters doing what he does best.

When I met with Operations Manager Rodney Lomax on November 14, 2022 (while the few issues we found with our Hull #1291 after delivery were being promptly addressed by the Service Department), I told  him:  "Whatever you pay Jason Essary, it's not enough." 

One year+ later, my view has not changed.

• Like 9

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Bummer! One of the reasons I sold our Escape and bought an E2 (pickup April) was for the service. I hope that our new E2 doesn't require any warranty work which I have to VISIT a dealer!  I'm not too fond of Auto or RV Dealers. I was very happy with the warranty service we received from our 21' Escape. Every issue was addressed and resolved quickly. Since Escape is located in Canada, there are no US service centers. You call, they give u an authorization, u get it repaired, they reimburse.  A few times I had parts sent to my house and I replaced. Plus, they even paid for a Mobile Tech to fix an issue while traveling.

• Like 3

2024 E2 | Hull # 1527 |Truma | Lithionics (390Ah) |Compost |2007 Toyota Tundra (5.7L, V8) | Airstream | Casita | Escape

1 hour ago, SAR said:

You call, they give u an authorization, u get it repaired, they reimburse.  A few times I had parts sent to my house and I replaced. Plus, they even paid for a Mobile Tech

That was exactly how Oliver handled most of the warranty repairs on our 2022. I hope they don't insist that future owners go to the nearest dealer.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

9 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Well stated, John. I've been wondering two things. Would we have bought our Oliver under these circumstances? The next time someone approaches us to ask about the Oliver can we, in good faith, recommend the purchase of one with the new service/sales arrangement and at today's prices?

I threw out all my brochures. No more sales pitches from my campsite. 

• Sad 1

2021 LE I #819 / 2020 RAM 1500 Longhorn Hemi 5.7L 4x4

It’s been a few years and I may not be remembering the specifics exactly but, when we were looking for a camper I took an entire week of vacation and spent the week in Elkhart, Indiana. We toured just about all of the manufacturers. It seems like they all had service facilities and several free campsites available. All of these manufacturers have multiple dealerships as well. I’m hoping that once the dust settles, Oliver will be able to justify reopening their service center. I’m sure that they are scrambling right now trying to figure it all out. We’ve only owned our LEII for seven years and known the Olivers for seven years as well. We have also spent time with the service team early on. In my experience the Olivers and every team member that I have ever had the opportunity to meet have always had the highest integrity and I’m sure that they will get it all sorted. 

• Thanks 4
  • Like 5

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

As someone who has been active on this forum for years and has been aspiring to own an Oliver, it's disheartening to hear the recent news. This forum has been a source of great learning, and through it, I feel connected to the Oliver community and the company itself. We've been looking forward to joining the ranks of owners. Yet, with the ongoing changes and the rising prices of new models, I'm hesitant to invest in a new Oliver, and these changes don't make it any easier to leave the sidelines.

The general consensus is that the dealer sales and service experience is subpar for most. While some dealers manage to do it right, it's worrisome that Oliver is considering outsourcing a significant part of their identity and culture. I hope they can engage with dealers that can do it right. I remain hopeful but cautious about their success. Being far from Hohenwald, the prospect of a local sales/service center infused with Oliver's culture is appealing. However, for the time being, we plan to observe from the sidelines and see whether Oliver succumbs to the typical sales and service model. We're rooting for a positive outcome that will compel us to join the community. Until then, we'll keep watching, hoping, and supporting from afar. At the Oliver price point, we're not sure we want to be the guinea pig for such a fundamental shift. May we be proven wrong and be compelled to switch to a wonderful TT like this. 

• Like 2

Well, shoot. I’m picking my Elite II up in 12 days.  I was excited to not be dealing with a dealer network. I really like the “factory experience.” Sad to see it go away. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here was @hobo "2HOBOS" Paul Polk's experience on the subject, from the Facebook forum yesterday:

"I have to say, as a longtime Oliver owner, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the announcement. Here's an example of why: I am currently on travel around the US and have suddenly (but not altogether surprisingly) starting to have some issues with my old, AGM batteries. Knowing our next stop is near a new Oliver dealer in LA, I called them this morning to see about possibly having my four batteries replaced while there. Here's what I got: "I understand you're an Oliver trailer dealer", (the receptionist didn't know anything about that). "Who makes the Oliver?" I said "Oliver TT." ME "Let me speak to service please". SERVICE: The service tech knew nothing about them being an Oliver trailer (what is that?) dealer and service center. She said she'd talk to someone and call me back. That was over an hour ago. This is NOT going well. So at best, if they actually agree to take me in, they know ZERO, NADA, NOTHING about my trailer. Not real confidence inspiring. OK, finally got in touch with some who is willing to assist although they hadn't heard of Oliver trailers either. Will report back later."

Edited by Steve Morris
  • Like 1
  • Sad 9

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

I once worked for a large international computer/ATM/point-of-sale company as a field engineer (service tech). Our company decided to take on service contracts for a competitor's equipment. This happened very quickly. Our techs in Texas got trained and started servicing the equipment in their state first, for a month or two. Next, I was selected to attend a train-the-trainer program, representing Connecticut. After watching some training videos they sent me to Texas for a week or two where I worked on the new equipment alongside a Texas tech. Finally, I returned to CT, did presentations to our guys, and went with them on their service calls as they came up to speed. The entire nationwide transition to this new contract probably took 3-4 months and we were able to support those new customers.

Maybe that's what Oliver is doing now: "As our service team will be working with the dealer's service departments on location, we feel it is prudent to discontinue most service work here at our location in Tennessee." Are they sending Oliver techs out to train the dealer techs? That would be smart. But OTT probably doesn't have enough techs to do that and keep the factory service center open at the same time. Therefore, shutting down factory service while their techs are out doing training makes sense (although it leaves people who need service right now in a bad spot, as seen above). But I can't see why they can't reopen factory service once they've completed training of the dealer techs. Maybe that's the plan and it hasn't been communicated well? Also, why do this in the spring, right at the start of camping season? Why didn't they gear up over the winter so the dealers would be ready for the big spring season?

Whatever is going on, I suspect it hasn't been handled as well as it might have been.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

The change sucks, BUT…
At this point the quality of the trailer hasn’t changed, so buying another brand just because of this doesn’t make sense. Basically you have to factor in mediocre warranty service support, but for serious stuff they are still there. 

The nuance is that even at a vested dealer, RV tech turnover is high and they are dealing with all brands. Lack of systems expertise and scheduling will be the major issues. 

So component issues are probably readily addressed, but resolution of any electrical or plumbing issues are going to be dependent on the guy on the floor.  I’d love to see them do an Oliver Certification for all the small RV repair shops many of us have found. 

And every dealer and their service manager should be at the rally.

• Like 3

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

RV Miles YouTube’s RV news today reported the the nationwide average for RV repairs with in stock parts is now 60 days. The average wait time for service is 45 days. The perfect time for Oliver to discontinue their service center…
https://youtu.be/W7ukKfZ15M0?si=Naunin475btnCWOH

Edited by Steve Morris
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

5 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

[Paul Polk] is currently on travel around the US and has suddenly (but no altogether surprisingly) started to have some issues with [his] old, AGM batteries.

Battery replacement is not unique to Oliver travel trailers.  Although it would be best if listed Oliver dealers were actually ready to service Olivers, dealer service (including service provided by Oliver in Hohenwald) is usually much more expensive than independent service.  For "generic" RV issues, like batteries, it is not necessary to find dealer service.

I would advise Paul Polk to find a Batteries Plus location in LA and ask them to replace his AGM batteries.  Batteries Plus does installation.

Edited by Rivernerd
  • Like 7

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

21 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

Here was @hobo "2HOBOS" Paul Polk's experience on the subject, from the Facebook forum yesterday:

"I have to say, as a longtime Oliver owner, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the announcement. Here's an example of why: I am currently on travel around the US and have suddenly (but not altogether surprisingly) starting to have some issues with my old, AGM batteries. Knowing our next stop is near a new Oliver dealer in LA, I called them this morning to see about possibly having my four batteries replaced while there. Here's what I got: "I understand you're an Oliver trailer dealer", (the receptionist didn't know anything about that). "Who makes the Oliver?" I said "Oliver TT." ME "Let me speak to service please". SERVICE: The service tech knew nothing about them being an Oliver trailer (what is that?) dealer and service center. She said she'd talk to someone and call me back. That was over an hour ago. This is NOT going well. So at best, if they actually agree to take me in, they know ZERO, NADA, NOTHING about my trailer. Not real confidence inspiring. OK, finally got in touch with some who is willing to assist although they hadn't heard of Oliver trailers either. Will report back later."

Ink has dried, hands shook and now comes the painful reality.

There is no sugar coating this. 

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

20 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I once worked for a large international computer/ATM/point-of-sale company as a field engineer (service tech). Our company decided to take on service contracts for a competitor's equipment. This happened very quickly. Our techs in Texas got trained and started servicing the equipment in their state first, for a month or two. Next, I was selected to attend a train-the-trainer program, representing Connecticut. After watching some training videos they sent me to Texas for a week or two where I worked on the new equipment alongside a Texas tech. Finally, I returned to CT, did presentations to our guys, and went with them on their service calls as they came up to speed. The entire nationwide transition to this new contract probably took 3-4 months and we were able to support those new customers.

Maybe that's what Oliver is doing now: "As our service team will be working with the dealer's service departments on location, we feel it is prudent to discontinue most service work here at our location in Tennessee." Are they sending Oliver techs out to train the dealer techs? That would be smart. But OTT probably doesn't have enough techs to do that and keep the factory service center open at the same time. Therefore, shutting down factory service while their techs are out doing training makes sense (although it leaves people who need service right now in a bad spot, as seen above). But I can't see why they can't reopen factory service once they've completed training of the dealer techs. Maybe that's the plan and it hasn't been communicated well? Also, why do this in the spring, right at the start of camping season? Why didn't they gear up over the winter so the dealers would be ready for the big spring season?

Whatever is going on, I suspect it hasn't been handled as well as it might have been.

We can all make up scenarios that make it better, or make it worse.  The lack of information does that to people.

If the Oliver family cares as much as some folks here say this would not be happening.

• Like 1

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

We’ve been traveling in the Southwest, so I am just now catching up on some of the events.  I have to say this “phasing out” is truly disappointing.  

Having bought a used Oliver, as well as being long distance from Hohenwald, I’ve always felt on my own, but it now seems a whole bunch more alone.  Hopefully the Oliver forum doesn’t disappear or disintegrate.  Paraphrasing Benjamin Franklin, either we hang together, or surely we will hang separately. 

• Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

I agree with the above members who mentioned this is just a transitional time.  However, I can’t help but think if Oliver used a 500 mile minimum radius to start the dealer/service network some of these problems could have been avoided.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 7:56 PM, GreenFlash said:

The beginning of the end.  One of the reasons I chose an Oliver - no dealers. Before I bought my Oliver I owned three Airstreams.  I still have nightmares about every Dealer and service experience with them. Who better to fix them than the one that builds them?

I only had 1 Airstream and that was 1 too many.  I had terrible service experiences with 3 Airstream dealers I took it to for repairs.  But worst of all was the absolute pile of crap built by Airstream itself that had zero quality control at that time.  (It was so bad that they forced me to sign a non disclosure agreement before they would repair the trailer at the factory.)

Edited by Flyfisher
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 1

On 3/29/2024 at 9:48 PM, Zodd said:

As someone who has been active on this forum for years and has been aspiring to own an Oliver, it's disheartening to hear the recent news. This forum has been a source of great learning, and through it, I feel connected to the Oliver community and the company itself. We've been looking forward to joining the ranks of owners. Yet, with the ongoing changes and the rising prices of new models, I'm hesitant to invest in a new Oliver, and these changes don't make it any easier to leave the sidelines.

The general consensus is that the dealer sales and service experience is subpar for most. While some dealers manage to do it right, it's worrisome that Oliver is considering outsourcing a significant part of their identity and culture. I hope they can engage with dealers that can do it right. I remain hopeful but cautious about their success. Being far from Hohenwald, the prospect of a local sales/service center infused with Oliver's culture is appealing. However, for the time being, we plan to observe from the sidelines and see whether Oliver succumbs to the typical sales and service model. We're rooting for a positive outcome that will compel us to join the community. Until then, we'll keep watching, hoping, and supporting from afar. At the Oliver price point, we're not sure we want to be the guinea pig for such a fundamental shift. May we be proven wrong and be compelled to switch to a wonderful TT like this. 

Best of luck with your decision, Zodd.  We were fortunate enough to have gone through the same decision when service was running strong.  Service is what sold us ours...period.  We're all hoping for a good outcome concerning Oliver and us both.  When the dust settles we'll see and keep hoping until then.  We're so happy with our 2022 E2 and have no reservations with our decision.  But at $25ooo more for one now and having to get service elsewhere?...I can feel your pain.  If this forum goes on, as strong as it is, someone will find a few good repair facilities across the country (some have already shared their experiences here on the forum) that we can all benefit from and help each other on this wonderful forum .  I feel so fortunate having the moderators (ya'll don't get paid nearly enough...lol) and membership to draw help from!  Hang in there!

Blessings,

John & Wendy

Edited by johnwen
  • Like 4

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Does anyone feel like the value of their trailer has just been diminished?  We spent a good deal of the nest egg on our used LEII, preparing for our future retirement.  We have a 2017 LEII with no bells or whistles.  No factory solar, no lithium, no inverter, no spiffy white shades, 3-way fridge, basic furnace, basic water heater, porcelain toilet, mirrored cabinets etc.  I still love my trailer and she serves me well in how we currently camp.   However, our intention was to upgrade items in Hohenwald when the time came for us to retire.   We felt confident that we had invested in the service, parts and reputation Oliver provides for ourselves and any potential future owner had our circumstances changed.  Service was something we could sell to a prospective buyer.  I'm not sure I feel the same anymore.   Feeling a little let down and lighter in the wallet.  I might have to do some cost benefit analysis.  

• Sad 1

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

21 minutes ago, csevel said:

Does anyone feel like the value of their trailer has just been diminished?  We spent a good deal of the nest egg on our used LEII, preparing for our future retirement.  We have a 2017 LEII with no bells or whistles.  No factory solar, no lithium, no inverter, no spiffy white shades, 3-way fridge, basic furnace, basic water heater, porcelain toilet, mirrored cabinets etc.  I still love my trailer and she serves me well in how we currently camp.   However, our intention was to upgrade items in Hohenwald when the time came for us to retire.   We felt confident that we had invested in the service, parts and reputation Oliver provides for ourselves and any potential future owner had our circumstances changed.  Service was something we could sell to a prospective buyer.  I'm not sure I feel the same anymore.   Feeling a little let down and lighter in the wallet.  I might have to do some cost benefit analysis.  

Not at all. The bulk of owners rarely need major service support and while the service resources are more constrained now the build quality has remained the same. Over the years I’ve looked at Escape, Big Foot and Casita and factory service was never in the equation. The Oliver is complex, but the essence of the trailer remains unchanged. 

• Like 3

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

8 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Not at all. The bulk of owners rarely need major service support and while the service resources are more constrained now the build quality has remained the same. Over the years I’ve looked at Escape, Big Foot and Casita and factory service was never in the equation. The Oliver is complex, but the essence of the trailer remains unchanged. 

I owned a Casita for ten years and have been a fiberglass enthusiast for longer than that.  I don't doubt the build quality of the Oliver, as that's why I upgraded..but also at a significant cost.  Part of my choice was certainly factory service and for me, it WAS in the equation!

• Like 3

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

I've been out of pocket for about a week while moving into a new home so just now catching up.  

It seems that change is hard for a lot of people.  I can understand that.  However, one thing hasn't changed.  Oliver still builds great trailers.  They have legendary quality and service.  I don't see that changing.  So, the service department in Hohenwald is shuttering for minor repairs.  Does that change the quality of the trailer we own?  Or does it just take away a fringe benefit?  

As I understand it, they will still take service calls and will handle major repairs but are handing off the minor repairs to local service centers.  This really isn't any different than what I have already experienced.  I have had a few problems since taking delivery, and it was handled this way without issue.   I think we trust OTT to remain the legend it has always been.   

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

8 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

So, the service department in Hohenwald is shuttering for minor repairs.  Does that change the quality of the trailer we own?  Or does it just take away a fringe benefit?  

Obviously it doesn't change the quality, though it does change the perceived value of an Oliver, for some. I bought an older E2 and these changes don't affect me at all, but it does affect a couple I know who purchased a new E2 and the ability to return to Hohenwald each year for service or warranty work was a major factor in their decision. They've already told me that they will be selling their E2 at the end of the warranty period if this service goes away. They've been down the dealer/service route with other trailer brands before and have no desire to do so again. I hope Oliver understands how important this is to some owners and continues to offer service at Hohenwald.

• Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

Our Oliver being our first and last travel trailer I cannot comment on service from other RV dealers. I have heard from some on here and have friends that have SOB and hear their stories. I understand that Oliver's decision to move all their service (except for major repairs) to the new dealer network has made people very nervous about their new experience. I can do some of the normal DIY stuff but I get nervous when working with the electrical items yet. I am getting a new inverter in a couple weeks. Oliver offered to walk me thru installing it myself but I did not feel confident so off to the factory we go, about 10 hours for me. I do plan to pick their brains a bunch around the inverter and use. 

My opinion only - I think it would be good for all of us if Oliver went forward with the idea of training service at the new dealer network. Gives us options when we are on the road and need some service.  I also think many here would feel better if Oliver continued to offer service at the factory. It could be a limited amount of appointments instead of their current service model if resources are an issue.

After reading threads here for over four years I can see where Oliver has heard from Owners and have made changes/upgrades over the years. I believe that same will hold true in this instance. I think owners will post about their good experiences and not so good experiences and then we as owners can make more informed choices pertaining to where to get service. I am sure Oliver will be monitoring this as it moves forward and take necessary steps to correct and improve these experiences. 

We would like the choice to go to the factory for service if possible. I get to see the new toys they are offering in person, I get a reason to go try out some Tennessee State Parks and make a mini vacation out of it. All that on top of the quality of service I have received at the factory.

I don't think I am going to consider throwing away our investment and retirement plans just yet. 

• Like 4

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg