External Towel Bar/Drying Rack

• Moderators

Nicely done and wonderful write-up.

I can attest to the holding power of those HF suction cups.  I hang waders and wading boot using them and have never had a single issue.

Note that the color of the suction cups helps in not forgetting to remove them prior to departure.😃

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Love this!  My BIL is visiting for 7 weeks this summer -- he's always looking for a project, so I'm putting this one on his list!  🙂

@MarkV

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Here is what we use... Not large but good enough for a towel or a couple of bathing suits. 

Towel bar.jpg

• Like 3

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Hi dhaig,

How did you get the threaded end of the 3/4 inch coupling into the suction cup handle.   I'm thinking a slight sanding to reduce the diameter or does the glue simply melt it enough to get it to fit?

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

@johnwen, as I recall, the threaded end of the PVC adapter fit into the suction cup handle somewhat loosely.  I don't recall having to reduce the diameter at all.  The PVC cement bonding provides the greatest strength where the flange of the PVC adapter meets the cross-section of the suction cup handle.  I would also recommend using a generous dose of PVC cement into the suction cup handle, where it will likely bond to the threaded end of the adapter.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

North Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

spacer.png

20 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

Here is what we use... Not large but good enough for a towel or a couple of bathing suits. 

Towel bar.jpg

This looks permanently attached? Any info on parts or how you did this?

• Like 1

Southeast Ohio | 2014 Ford F150 EcoBoost, Heavy Payload, Max towing Package l Hull # - to be announced

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators
On 5/30/2022 at 7:27 PM, dhaig said:

Cut the handle of the HF Dual Suction Cup Lifter in half transversely.  A hack saw or bandsaw is recommended.  File/sand the cut edges to remove burrs.

Unfortunately, I missed this part!

This caused me to be thinking about having never coming across any suction cup at Harbor Freight that looked anything like the ones shown in the picture above.  In turn, I happened to be at Harbor Freight this morning, found the suction cups but they (obviously) were in one piece that formed a "handle" between them.

It really helps to actually read the entire post!

Nicely done on both the post and the mod!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For those less industrious, "GO-STIK" products makes a single (4') aluminum towel bar that attaches with suction cups.  Major difference is that the GO-STIK only has a single bar vice triple. The GO-STIK product is obviously more expensive.  I have the GO-STIK myself and it suits my needs but I do like the OPs design.

Another note:  Make sure you avoid putting the suction cups on any graphics.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Thanks, dhaig...mission accomplished!  But I only made it with 2 bars until I find out it will sufficiently handle the weight :classic_smile:

• Like 3

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

dhaig - IF THERE WAS AN “OLLIE MOD OF THE MONTH”  AWARD YOU WIN!!  🏆 🏆

Another option at a cost - a little spendy.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”