LP Gas Tank Level Measurement Devices

dewdev

Sorry to bring this subject up again on the forum, but I want to find out what people are using to check the level in their LP tanks and if they use a measuring device.

I myself initially decided to not get anything to measure the LP level in my tanks as I can just fill up the empty tank when I switch the valve over to the 2nd tank. But I keep coming back to this subject. (MaybeI I am a little bored over the winter.)

There are tank gauges that you install in-line.

There are also the devices you install on the bottom of the LP tank like from Mopeka.

There are also hand held measuring devices that you scribe along the side of the tank to determine where the liquid level is inside the tank, such as:

1. Dometic makes a measuring device, model GC-100, $68.99

2. Truma also makes a similiar measuring device - $74.79

So my question is regarding only the two numbered devices above. For those that have used either of the devices, did they work ok and were you happy with the devices and would  you recommend for purchase?

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• The title was changed to LP Gas Tank Level Measurement Devices
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I have been using the Mopeka sensors for the past six years. I’m able to see the levels on my phone without having to remove the propane cover. Rather than finding out when a tank is already empty, I can fill the lowest level tank when we are close to a tank filling station. We are many times in areas that may not be very convenient to a filling station, so the Mopeka sensors allow me to anticipate the need and fill the tanks where either the cost of propane is lower and/or convenient.

• Like 3

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

15 hours ago, dewdev said:

There are also hand held measuring devices that you scribe along the side of the tank to determine where the liquid level is inside the tank, such as:

1. Dometic makes a measuring device, model GC-100, $68.99

2. Truma also makes a similiar measuring device - $74.79

So my question is regarding only the two numbered devices above. For those that have used either of the devices, did they work ok and were you happy with the devices and would  you recommend for purchase?

I purchased a Dometic LPGC10 model in 2020 and it is fairly accurate to date. It can be a bit finicky at times, mostly due to the device not being held perpendicular to the tank, as required. That may seem like a simple task, but when reaching in and looking downward, there is a degree of difficulty involved. A green light indicates gas, but sometimes defining the tank level is difficult in that the indicator light will toggle red/green; however further adjustment(s) will ultimately determine the tank level. In a brief look at the current Amazon ratings between the two devices, the Truma may prove better; perhaps a user of that device will chime in. I like having such a device, and if/when my Dometic fails, I will research the Truma.

• Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

I bought the Truma before we took delivery of Hull #1291 in November, 2022.  It worked o.k., but required me to remove the  cover of the "doghouse" each time I wanted to check propane levels.

So, I invested in a pair of Mopeka tank sensors in 2023.  They have worked well.

So, I haven't used the Truma since!

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

We have the ProSmart system that Oliver installed ( tank bottom sensor ) and we've had one of the devices fail and the other is difficult to connect to.  I did purchase the Truma handheld device as a backup and it works pretty well with the minor limitations listed in previous posts; the device must be placed at a right angle to the tank and multiple readings are required to determine the level at which the propane is found.  As I said it works pretty well but it's fairly expensive.  

The least expensive method, and pretty accurate, is to pour warm water down the side of the tank and then slide your hand down the tank to feel the point at which the tank goes from feeling warm to cold; that's your propane level.  I use this method at times and it's works well.  I used this method to verify the Truma device's accuracy. 

• Like 4

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

I'll throw another vote in for mopeka sensors. No issues connecting to them. Once the tank gets nearly all the way empty the reading can start to get a bit erratic but if you're checking it once a day or so you can anticipate that so its not that big a deal. One of my first purchases for my first trailer when I found out the hard way how miserable it can be when you run out of propane on a cold night in alaska. When I ordered my second trailer I made sure I had a pair of then before I even took delivery.

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

2022 Oliver Elite Hull #1285

2023 Oliver Elite Hull #1434

9 hours ago, Coastal Aggie said:

I'll throw another vote in for mopeka sensors

Same here - casting a vote for Mopeka sensors.  We've yet to experience any issues with the Mopeka kit and "halo rings" for the bottom of the LPG bottles...

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I've had nothing but problems with the Mopeka. They are super sensitive to placement and I can get it right outside the doghouse only to discover it not working properly when the tanks are installed and secured. I tried many times and finally gave up. I simply use the "use one tank till empty and switch over" technique. It's a little uncomfortable when you run out after going to bed.

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

We've had issues with mopeka and pro smart so I went back to my fail safe plan :)  We have 2 x 20lb bottles and open only 1 at a time.  If the open 1 runs out, we switch over to the other and go fill the empty.  We have a pretty good idea if we need to fill before we run out.  Cold weather usually depletes ours in 1 week and if we don't run the furnace we get about 3 weeks. If we cooked every meal in the trailer I'm sure we wouldn't get close to 3 weeks.  2 to 3 meals, and coffee most mornings, a week is about all we do inside. If anywhere close to those times we usually stop, when convenient, and top off.  We ran out this morning :)BTW and knew right away in Tucumcari, switched over and all was fine.  We were stuck in those 48-63 mph winds for 3 days so I couldn't follow my "gettin' close" plan.  Now that we're in 25 degree temps again we'll refill on the way to Amarillo today.  Don't get me wrong...if 1 bottle gets depleted, we fill it asap.  I'm not trusting my plan with 1 bottle empty.  I tried the sensor route and am not spending any more money on them.  Works for me so far.  BTW...full timers for 4+ years and lovin' it :)  If I was part-timin' I wouldn't have a clue as my time line would be tossed out the window.

John

• Like 6

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

14 minutes ago, Dave Mazone said:

I've had nothing but problems with the Mopeka.

Which mopeka do you have? 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

We use the Truma hand held unit. As previously mentioned you need to take the housing cover off. I have been happy with the results. Depending on amount of use (i.e. stove, furnace, grill, fridge, fire pit) I will periodically or every couple of days. I may consider switching down the road. I paid around $75 for the unit.

• Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

4 hours ago, rich.dev said:

Which mopeka do you have? 

Honestly, I don't even know if I got the brand right (I hope I didn't "bad mouth" the wrong product). I purchased mine when picking up my Ollie in Feb of 2022 - straight from the mothership. It seems as though when installed, my tanks put too much weight on them (apparently sticking out a tiny bit further than the tanks' rims).

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

21 minutes ago, Dave Mazone said:

I purchased mine when picking up my Ollie in Feb of 2022 - straight from the mothership.

I could be wrong but I don't beieve Oliver sells the Mopeka.

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

FYI- the rubber “Halo Rings” allow the bottles to sit a bit higher in the rack giving the sensors a bit more space.  Makes a tight fit - and keeps the rust from taking over on the bottom of the tank rack.

• Like 4

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

23 hours ago, johnwen said:

We've had issues with mopeka and pro smart so I went back to my fail safe plan 🙂 We have 2 x 20lb bottles and open only 1 at a time.  If the open 1 runs out, we switch over to the other and go fill the empty.  We have a pretty good idea if we need to fill before we run out.  Cold weather usually depletes ours in 1 week and if we don't run the furnace we get about 3 weeks. If we cooked every meal in the trailer I'm sure we wouldn't get close to 3 weeks.  2 to 3 meals, and coffee most mornings, a week is about all we do inside. If anywhere close to those times we usually stop, when convenient, and top off.  We ran out this morning :)BTW and knew right away in Tucumcari, switched over and all was fine.  We were stuck in those 48-63 mph winds for 3 days so I couldn't follow my "gettin' close" plan.  Now that we're in 25 degree temps again we'll refill on the way to Amarillo today.  Don't get me wrong...if 1 bottle gets depleted, we fill it asap.  I'm not trusting my plan with 1 bottle empty.  I tried the sensor route and am not spending any more money on them.  Works for me so far.  BTW...full timers for 4+ years and lovin' it 🙂 If I was part-timin' I wouldn't have a clue as my time line would be tossed out the window.

John

John, haha! Love your plan, we are on the same plan! 😄

I agree and use pretty much the same plan. On our 42 day 6000 mile trip last fall out west we topped off one tank 3X during the trip and again when we arrived home. Never a concern of being out of LP. We have 30# tanks and never ran into any issues getting a refill. We don’t swap tanks on refills for many reasons. We also never got into our second tank. We don’t use tank sensors. Based on our use, I don’t see the need for LP sensors along with the added frustration of reading about the failures and complaints. 

Hang On to your hat in Amarillo, that’s a windy place. You and Wendy go enjoy a big steak at the Big Texan! 

Safe travels and hope to see you both at the rally!

David & Kathy

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 minute ago, MAX Burner said:

FYI- the rubber “Halo Rings” allow the bottles to sit a bit higher in the rack giving the sensors a bit more space.  Makes a tight fit - and keeps the rust from taking over on the bottom of the tank rack.

Agree Max! I use the rings and installed custom cut 1/4” rubber mat on the tank floor to keep it looking purdy.👍🏻

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Purdy is good - we like purdy!  Ha!

• Like 1

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, Patriot said:

We have 30# tanks

If I possessed your physical attributes I would have those 30 pounders as well :)  And you read our minds concerning the Big Texan!  But not the 72 oz.  Sadly we are unable to make the rally since Oliver service (annual maintenance) was booked up and we have our revisit with CGI mid April.  We have a plan for northern Maine and the Havelina Rally in Texas with Ohio golfing in between.  So the month between CGI and the Oliver rally is no longer time we can spare.

You and Kathy have a blast out there :classic_biggrin:

John

• Thanks 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Jason Foster said:

I use the cheap, tried and true method of lift and shake.

I do the same with my 1 pound tanks! 😂  I use the Mopeka tank monitors on the 30 pounders.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jason Foster said:

I use the cheap, tried and true method of lift and shake.

There for a second I thought that you were going to say you used a lighter!😬  That would NOT be a good thing!

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

There for a second I thought that you were going to say you used a lighter!😬  That would NOT be a good thing!

Nope.  I use the lighter method to determine if I have any leaks.

• Wow 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Jason Foster said:

Nope.  I use the lighter method to determine if I have any leaks.

I know you are joking.

Disclaimer:

Just to educate the absolute newbies, soap/soapy water is better. None of us ever use flame to find gas leaks. Including @Jason Foster above, I'm sure. That was a joke, for sure.

A propane sniffer is even better. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.