"Water from tanks are not intended for consumption. " => 2021& 2020 Owners Manual

Statement in title appears in the 2021 & 2020 Owners Manual but NOT in 2019 and not in 2018 Owners Manuals and I would guess not in earlier manuals.

Seems to conflict with the following statement which is in the same 2021 and 2020 Owners Manuals.

" USE ANTIFREEZE SUITABLE FOR DRINKING WATER SYSTEMS. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!!! "

In 2018 Manual  the following statement appears . . . 

Note: Always fill the tank with clean drinkable water from a known safe source. Make sure to cap the water inlet when the tank is filled. Also, always fill system with a hose that you know is clean and is used only for this purpose.

Any thoughts? . . . . . . . . .Legal Department stuff ?  , BPA in tank plastic ?

I was not looking for trouble, just minding my own business searching for FW tank draining info when I stumbled on this statement and it stuck me as odd.

Screen Grab of 2021 Owners Manual page with the statement.

5C130FA0-32F5-4814-AE51-834F2436B9A3.jpeg.eb660b3718602abfb12f96bac2a20ff2.jpeg

Edited by georgelewisray
  • Thanks 1

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

“Water are” pains me almost as much as the thought of using regular antifreeze (ethylene glycol - please don’t do that, as your death will be quite painful.)  

But to your point, yes that’s a curious addition. Here I thought I was just being uppity, choosing Evian over Eau d’Ollie. 

Edited by Overland

Snowball • The world's only spherical Ollie

There is a reason for that statement.  Antifreeze? I guess that one will work.  That black rubber hose that’s been sitting outside for a year I'll run some water through it it will be fine to fill my water tank.  It was clean water in my tank when I put it in there six month ago.  I heard you can back up to a pond and suck up water to your fresh water tank.  Water filter? For what who need that.  I’m sure the list could go on.   People who actually don’t know any better would think the above is ok.  A lot of the reason you see those statements in writing.  These things actually happen.  Common sense.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Maybe, but at this rate I do expect that by 2025 the manual will just state that the "trailer" is not intended for actual use.  

I'm hoping that this was just an editing error, even though I agree that tank water are bad.

Edited by Overland
  • Love 1

Snowball • The world's only spherical Ollie

The manuals have always had questionable content, which appears to be bulk “cut and paste” from other sources with little regard for how it applies to an Oliver. In the 2017 manual the warranty section talks about dealing with a problem - “talk to the dealer that sold it to you”.... And the tires section is excessively full of generic technical information like sidewall date codes, tread wear and speed ratings, information that is readily available everywhere, but there is nothing about the correct pressure for an Ollie. And five years later they still have nothing about that item.

Omitting detailed electrical diagrams in the last two years’ books is inexcusable! Sometimes I wonder if the folks who write the manual even own and use a travel trailer; if they did, the written guidelines might make a little more sense.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

I bought a backrest for my motorcycle.  In the box there was a paper that stated the backrest was for static display only and not to be used to lean against. I guess that is one way to try and avoid legal problems.  At least I didn't have to sign a legal release before bolting it on.

• Like 1

The author "are" probably referring to a pond of water aka, in some rural areas, as a tank

• Like 1

Scott&Ricki

2017 Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull 225, The Bus

2007 Tundra

Prev: 2003 Casita, 2009 Weekend Warrior 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Doesn't bother me at all. I  don't drink water from the tank, and haven't,  since the 70s. Using smaller containers, usually from home,  for fresh water for drinking and cooking helps conserve fresh supply for cleaning and showering, anyway.

I'm sure it "are" lawyerese, but I  know few people who use the tank for drinking water, anyway. 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12