BATHROOM VENT OPENING WHEN ON THE ROAD

I noticed this happening on our last trip. My temporary fix was obviously to stuff a sock in it. 

IMG_E1119.thumb.jpg.4cbb07570dc32290763ccd69f34b1306.jpg

When we were back  home I found that the plastic hood was deformed around the screw that mounted it to the inside handle. So this caused a small air gap around the plastic hood where it made contact to the frame. This resulted in wind getting underneath and lifting it open. The remedy was to use a heat gun and warm the plastic around the screw hole and then form it flat again. Once the plastic cooled off it stayed flat. I then added a flat piece of stainless steel as a back up plate. I did use some silicone sealant between the hood and the plate. So far it has cured the problem.

IMG_E1109.thumb.jpg.ffe42873c37566d5acef53852db0a36f.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Oli - 

The only additional thing I would have done (and maybe you did it but it is hidden under the SS plate) would be to apply a bit of sealant around that screw just to make sure that it would not leak.  Great solution and nice work!

Bill

p.s.  I also liked the sock and stick as temporary fixes.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We have a microfiber towel hanging in the bath that we use to wipe down after showering.  When we travel, we roll it and put it in the handle to keep it closed when driving.  It works well.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Interesting,  as we never had that happen with our older  (2008) ventline vent. It eventually leaked, the handle cracked, but it never came open on its own. I don't remember the little drain hole. Maybe it was in the back, maybe didn't have it . We replaced it last year, with the Maxx dome vent, so I can't check .

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12