Coffee maker and the Elite II

Doug S

Hi, I’ve got an Ollie on order for late February and am having a lot of fun - some with a little stress, on making the Ollie “ours”. Also trying to start with minimum ideas for mods. We really like  good coffe in the mornings, and I make Jill at least one cappuccino a day. It turns out that a nespresso with Peet’s coffee and some steamed milk will pass the test. I’m pretty sure that one will fit between the standard position of the cooktop and the sink, but then what do you do with it if you want to cook or clean? Love to hear other’s solutions/ideas. I don’t want to go to a moka pot, or a French press, or a pour-over. I think this might be one of those things that would be obvious if we actually had the Ollie. 

Doug

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

Ozzie and Ruby - 2 Havanese characters

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

’23 F-250 RapidRed KR 7.3 Godzilla

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Counter and storage space is tight, but the black nectar of the Gods is life sustaining.  I don’t have a solution for you (we use Melita cone and pour into a Stanley thermos), but I’m interested in seeing the responses.  Maybe we’ll find a better way.

And… Welcome to the tribe, and congrats on the soon to be new Oliver.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

I am a serious morning coffee guy for 40 years to deal with the demands of my career.  (OK, I acknowledge it's a copout, but it paid the mortgage. 🙂)
My son recently made me a cold brew.  The way he and his friends like it. First time I ever tried it.
Takes some patience, But it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.  Sweet and powerful.

In retirement, in my Ollie, I hope to mature to my son's procedures.  And not worry about the electricity required for a Keurig.

• Like 2

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

8 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Counter and storage space is tight, but the black nectar of the Gods is life sustaining.  I don’t have a solution for you (we use Melita cone and pour into a Stanley thermos), but I’m interested in seeing the responses.  Maybe we’ll find a better way.

Thanks for the welcome! The whole ceremony/ritual of how we each get up in the morning is pretty interesting. Taste buds are waiting, as are the dogs, to see the new light….

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

8 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

I am a serious morning coffee guy for 40 years to deal with the demands of my career.  (OK, I acknowledge it's a copout, but it paid the mortgage. 🙂)
My son recently made me a cold brew.  The way he and his friends like it. First time I ever tried it.
Takes some patience, But it's the best coffee I've ever tasted.  Sweet and powerful.

In retirement, in my Ollie, I hope to mature to my son's procedures.  And not worry about the electricity required for a Keurig.

That’s interesting! I’ll dig into it today. Do you serve it cold? With any milk?  I do have friends who use the smaller Aeropress, which can be pretty good - actually with good beans it is better than Peet’s, just not as “automatic”, which is also pretty nice in the morning.

• Like 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

6 minutes ago, Doug S said:

Thanks for the welcome! The whole ceremony/ritual of how we each get up in the morning is pretty interesting. Taste buds are waiting, as are the dogs, to see the new light….

The dogs are back in from yard patrol, I’ve got a nice cuppa joe going,  and in an hour or so the sun will peek up over the Wallowas. No complaints other than I’m sore from yesterday’s unsuccessful chukar chase.

• Like 2

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

Hello, 

I use a Cafelat Robot. I just drink espresso shots in there morning. The Robot makes great espresso out camping, if you have a high quality hand grinder.  I have got great results with the 1Zpresso K-Ultra grinder and beans from Caffe Lusso (either Lionshare blend or Gran Miscela Carmo blend). The espresso is way better than you get from almost all American coffee shops. With the espresso shot it is easy to make an Americano or a latte. 

Cafelat Robot regular (red) | LessWasteCoffee.com

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Doug S said:

I’m pretty sure that one will fit between the standard position of the cooktop and the sink, but then what do you do with it if you want to cook or clean? Love to hear other’s solutions/ideas.

Our Nespresso (Pixie) fits in the overhead above the sink when not it use.  If it’s out and we need to cook/clean it’s easy enough to unplug and move to the dinette table.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

11 hours ago, Doug S said:

but then what do you do with it if you want to cook or clean

My morning caffeine ritual centers on making matcha lattes, but I used to drink coffee. Regardless of the flavor or  equipment, I harbor my kit in a small rubber tub that stows immediately above the sink. My Matcha kit includes a ceramic bowl, a whisk and ceramic whisk stand, a sifter, a glass measuring cup and a few other things. I don’t like plastics — my dishes (Corelle large and small plates, large and small bowls) are nestled in a single stack next to this tub with a couple of napkins in between, and my double-walled insulated glassware are to the right of the dishes, wrapped in bubble wrap when I’m under way. I traveled nearly 10,000 miles this summer without any breakage. 

• Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

We bought a tiny little Keurig-type machine on Amazon. We didn't want to give up the cabinet space for a regular Keurig.

169717071506d2ddf36e162aa085ac4ee0846b54b3_square_thumbnail_720x.thumb.jpg.9603f443ee53a78e6a6cb90bd412d6cd.jpg

This little Chulux coffee maker is much smaller than the Keuirig, but it seems to work fine, if a bit slower to heat the water. Draws only 800 watts and easy to store.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Since our trailer is Hull 505 Galway Girl we love Irish Coffee made with a melitta #4 pour over system.  

image.thumb.jpeg.af2719be4d0a83d3292ab2c91107c9d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dd3a01a11b2de37c478bdebc902e1ded.jpeg

• Like 5

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Coffe, one of my necessities!  I have always preferred single cup serving methods.  Nothing real fancy, but I have used the Primula classic stovetop espresso maker, Melitta plastic pour over #2 filter holder, Clever Dripper, French Press, and my current favorite, an AeroPress.  I have the original and the travel size.  The travel size lives in the Ollie.  I heat water in an old Jet Boil backpacking stove outside while Krunch is still in bed.  My coffee usually comes from Costco, whichever 2 lb. bag is on sale.  At home I grind beans every morning and usual buy pre ground coffee for camping.  And if you haven’t noticed, my morning coffee is on the cheap side.  And I like it black!

here's to your cup of ️,

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We bought a tiny little Keurig-type machine on Amazon. We didn't want to give up the cabinet space for a regular Keurig.

This little Chulux coffee maker is much smaller than the Keuirig, but it seems to work fine, if a bit slower to heat the water. Draws only 800 watts and easy to store.

We had one of these.  Very small and worked well.  It wore out after about 2 years, not bad considering the price and size.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I use an aero press: https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Portable-Travel-Coffee-Press/dp/B07YVL8SF3/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2IDH7CBZ1K29E&keywords=aeropress&qid=1698864367&sprefix=aero%2Caps%2C311&sr=8-6.  Good coffee, extremely easy cleanup, small storage space required.  Takes fine-ground coffee (I bring along an electric grinder); for a large mug the first pour of 170°-water is drip, the second pour is press.

• Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

You're all wrong!

IMG_9476.thumb.jpeg.45abbbb6a55467cf199b651d033f0591.jpeg

IMG_9473.jpeg.17fe59ae125c7e571d25bf6bc6c1f75a.jpeg

😁

Deb had one of those little Chulux Keurig copies in the Hiker trailer, and it worked well for several years. For the Oliver, she got the smallest Keurig model, which is still at least twice as big as the Chulux.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

I dont drink coffee, never have - I know kinda weird. Shawna does and we got a small Keurig and she loves it. 

I did get some Hot Chocolate to run thru it when it is a little  cooler on those frosty mornings in the fall.

• Like 3

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

Ditto. 

We use the cone,, into an old stainless carafe from a defunct coffee maker. 15 seasons.

Better than the coffee maker at home. So good, that every once in awhile, I break it out at home. It just takes time, not electricity. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, Shawna and Scott said:

I did get some Hot Chocolate to run thru it when it is a little  cooler on those frosty mornings in the fall.

I do that, too. Amazon sells a box of assorted hot chocolate pods that are pretty good. I have hot cider for the fall, too.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

20 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

I don’t have a solution for you (we use Melita cone and pour into a Stanley thermos), but I’m interested in seeing the responses.  Maybe we’ll find a better way.

I do the same, using a number 6 paper filter into a stanley thermos.  Makes even better tasting coffee than my 70's 1500W Norelco or vintage W. German-made Krups

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

Thanks to my wife and our son, we are now Aeropress converts for life. We have a typical plug in induction water pot for any and all hot drink needs. Boils water faster than any other method. Using that to make tea, hot chocolate, hot toddies, you name it.

Link:   Induction Pot

image.png.d6b07440d9f3a99a341fbb1ac18ed51c.png

For coffee, the Aeropress is king. Once the water is boiling you can have a couple cups of perfect coffee in one minute each. No mess, simple clean up and fast. You pick your favorite coffee and grind. Very cheap and fast to operate. Stows away in the space of a coffee cup.

link:   Aeropress

image.png.9e1b5d2f9bc985096a9264d6ad575843.png

Video:   

• Like 4

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

We use ALL the coffee options including instant (yes….bags from Walla Walla Roastery are delicious!), AeroPress, CleverDripper, and our Breville Bambino Plus for espresso.  We have a Knock Aergrind to grind fresh for each cup.  What we makes depends on the day.  If we’re staying put for more than 2 nights, I’ll set up the Breville.  One to 2 nights = CleverDripper or aeropress, or instant if I’m really short on time.  All are equally delicious, and I never feel like I have to do without coffee!

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

I use a Hario V60 pour-over and a 4-cup Pyrex glass measuring cup, heating the water in the microwave or on the stove if not hooked to shore power, and using the measuring cup to pour the water. I also have a Hario Skerton Plus hand grinder (which I'm sure is not as good as a Knock Aergrind but still does a decent job producing a consistent granule size, and costs much less). All of these along with coffee, filters, thermos, trivets, etc. fit into one drawer of the cabinet. The setup makes 26oz of coffee. While I would love each cup to be absolutely fresh, I'm just too lazy to do this twice. I'm sure the much smaller Aergrind is also much easier to use than the Hario.

Lately I have been bringing / buying ground coffee during our trips. I get up much earlier than Sue, so when I grind I have to do it in the wet bath with the door closed, and even then it's just too noisy.

My favorite grocery store coffee is Peets Major Dickason. I also use the ZeroWater filtration system for drinking and coffee water.

At home I use a Breville automatic burr grinder and a Technivorm Moccamaster drip machine with thermal beaker. Both setups make excellent coffee. The home setup is much easier to use but requires too much counter space to be practical for the OEII.

--Mike

• Like 3

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

2 hours ago, MobileJoy said:

My favorite grocery store coffee is Peets Major Dickason.

We're coffee junkies, for sure...  Love Peets MD coffee anytime in a pinch.  Our go-to has been Black Rifle Black Beard's Delight for many years.  

We've been using our same 'ol tea kettle and a Melita pour-over with non-bleached paper cones since early 2000's.  We store the Melita in a pillow case above the kitchen sink along with an aluminum coffee container from the '50's.  

The pour-over gives us each 3 cups of great tasting strong Jo which gets me rev'd up for the day!  (...also nice with a wee dram of Kaluha on Saturday mornings 🤪).

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX