Camp Stoves: What is your favorite outdoor camp stove? -- I'm looking at stoves that will be compatible with the Oliver QuickConnect

Boudicca908

Greetings All -- 

I'm shopping for a camp stove, mostly to move the heat and mess outdoors. I love to cook my own food, and often like to grille (meats veggies fish) so outdoors makes more sense to me.  I'm curious what other Oliver owners have found and liked (or not) in the way of camp stoves. So far I've looked at the Weber Q series (needs a table), the Weber Traveler (mixed reviews due to length of time to get hot and lid popping open when moving), and the old basic Colemans (though I discovered this morning on Amazon that the "Coleman 1900" series, supposedly based on the old fashioned ones with cast iron grilles, describes the main material as PLASTIC).  If a table is needed, I'll have to buy one of those as well. I'm also focused on compatibility of the camp stove with the Oliver Quick connect. 

Please feel free to move this if the General Discussion is not the right place for this post.  I did try to search in the forum; only found a few posts about changing out hoses. 

Also, I will mention, I've been offline tending to things here since last summer's Hurricane Ian, and then the bother of a hip replacement. Now that that's done..... I'm itching to hit the road! I hope everyone out there is having a good time. 

• Like 4

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Most camp stoves will require the removal of the pressure regulator as the Oliver gas pressure is already reduced at the regulator mounted at the propane tanks.   Lots of YouTube’s and articles on this.   See this forum link for more details.

Weber Q1200 Regulator

I have a Weber Q1000, with a Torjik conversion kit.  I also have a Blackstone 17” griddle, with a low pressure hose connector.  I take one or the other, not both, but they both work well.  And last but not least, I have a 30 year old Coleman Classic that’s been used countless times.  I’ve not found a safe low pressure conversion for it nor any reference from anyone that uses one connected it to their Oliver via the low pressure QC.  We often take the Coleman along for cooking outside with pots and skillets.   I use small disposable propane bottles or a 20lb tank if I have room for it. 

• Like 6

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

We got the Weber Traveler that was offered by Oliver at the time of purchase last month. It's extremely portable and folds up into position in seconds. I also bought the griddle plate for one side to allow making pancakes or anything else that would fall through the grate. This makes the Traveler even more camp friendly.

Weber Traveler

Traveler Griddle

81zMpE0hFGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91JyLwC59uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81xD-7SWEzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

27 minutes ago, Ollie-Haus said:

We got the Weber Traveler that was offered by Oliver at the time of purchase last month. It's extremely portable and folds up into position in seconds. I also bought the griddle plate for one side to allow making pancakes or anything else that would fall through the grate. This makes the Traveler even more camp friendly.

We picked up a Weber Traveler a few months back and have been very happy with it.  Only downsides I've found so far is that the newer models are a real PITA to convert over to a quick connect and that it only has one burner control. Gets to 600 deg fairly quick which is something that my Weber Genesis has a hard time achieving.

• Like 5

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

So here’s my setup and I like it a lot.  REI metal roll up table (Apparently they are green now) which I’ve had for over 20 years.  Weber Q 1200. Torjik converter for the Weber.  All works flawlessly from quick connect at front of trailer. If I want to convert back to using an unregulated propane tank I just use the adapter for the propane tank.  All links below pic.   

image.thumb.jpeg.96d270f85d2ab33602977b44e3690cd3.jpeg

https://www.rei.com/product/217993/rei-co-op-dining-table

https://torjik.com/weber-q-grill-compatible-rv-quick-connect-conversion-kit-12-m-f-qc-hose/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095YDZMH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 6

Patrick and Danielle Wolfe / 2022 LE II Tail #22-1052 / 2023 GMC 2500HD SLT 6.6L Gas

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Ollie-Haus said:

Weber Traveler

Traveler Griddle

We won one of these at the 2022 Rally. It was so big, I was barely able to get into our 3500 Silverado to take it home. I sold it within a week, never took it out of the box. Just way too big for me to consider.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Wolfepack said:

So here’s my setup and I like it a lot.  REI metal roll up table (Apparently they are green now) which I’ve had for over 20 years.  Weber Q 1200. Torjik converter for the Weber.  All works flawlessly from quick connect at front of trailer. If I want to convert back to using an unregulated propane tank I just use the adapter for the propane tank.  All links below pic.   

image.thumb.jpeg.96d270f85d2ab33602977b44e3690cd3.jpeg

https://www.rei.com/product/217993/rei-co-op-dining-table

https://torjik.com/weber-q-grill-compatible-rv-quick-connect-conversion-kit-12-m-f-qc-hose/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095YDZMH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We bought one of these thinking it was the best grill in the world. It always cooked too hot and would not pack worth a tinker's dam. The rounded top keeps you from being able to put anything on top of it so all the space above it is wasted.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

We are currently using a Blackstone 17 inch. I built a special rack in the truck to hold the two parts of it. It cooks really well and is now easy to pack. I run it off the onboard propane tanks.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

would not pack worth a tinker's dam

Yep, my main complaint about the Weber Q.   The grease is always oozing into the drip tray while traveling, and sometimes gets messy when moving it’ around.   The Blackstone griddle cleans up easily, packs much smaller, and has more cooking options.  I’m probably going to carry that one most of the time going forward.  

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators

We’ve been using a Weber Q1000 since we picked up in 2016.  I added the cast iron griddle plate.  We’ve also been using a 17” Blackstone the past few years.  I also have a 22” Blackstone that we use at home.  Both the Weber and Blackstone hook into the quick connect on the trailer (Weber regulator removed).  Sometimes we travel with both, sometimes just the Blackstone.  The Blackstone is more versatile, you can cook more on it than the Weber.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

We still use a 16 year old, relatively inexpensive,  infrared stainless grill, from a sporting goods store, on closeout.  . We had to replace the non-stainless grates with aftermarket adjustable,  but, whatever. It's a boxier shape, lightweight.

We have a Magma charcoal grill on the boat (30? plus years), and a west marine gas copycat, probably 20 years old. . Both shiny stainless. Neither is heavy. (As in, I can easily lift any of the three, without effort.)  We often take the copycat off and use it in the backyard. It's great for burgers or dteaks up to six people. Cleans up easily. 

Make sure whatever you buy can give you decent btus to give a good char. And, that you can lift and clean and store it easily.

I love the concept of a Blackstone. Aussie barbie concept.  My friend makes amazing food on hers, especially breakfast. I'd be most interested in their pizza oven 😋.  But, I'm good for now. Too much stuff, anyway. I don't really need anything else, til some piece  of gear dies. 

I can always just camp with a friend,  with something different.  😆

All our grills look similar to this magma. Under $200.

Screenshot_20230621_185848_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

We are currently using a Blackstone 17 inch. I built a special rack in the truck to hold the two parts of it. It cooks really well and is now easy to pack. I run it off the onboard propane tanks.

Can that be used as a grill, or is it only a griddle? 

• Like 1

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

We really like our Weber Q1200 for its portability, of our Ollies QC and ease of cleaning. The Chef Master along with our trusty all clad 12” sautée pan is great for getting a good sear on steaks, fish, or chicken. 
Gotta have the crunch! 👨🏼‍🍳😊

https://www.weber.com/US/en/gas/weber-q-series/weber-q-1200-gas-grill/51010001.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HUOEGM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, HDRider said:

Can that be used as a grill, or is it only a griddle? 

The Blackstone griddle is not a grill.  Griddle only.  It still does a fine job on steaks/burgers/etc.  Perfect for breakfast bacon and eggs.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We started out with a Weber (unknown model) & in 2019, three months into our 1st big trip, we left it at a dumpster & bought the 17" Blackstone. The Weber was a chore to clean. The Blackstone is wonderfully versatile & much easier to clean.

And, because Duke had been a good boy, Santa brought him a fiberglass propane tank.

Screenshot_20230622_102442_Photos.thumb.jpg.dd4ae93e0601bce23feeab31c27faf4d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

We started with a 22" Blackstone with quick connect hose to Ollie. It had 2 heat controls which was nice but it was a bit of overkill size-wise. Bought a 17" Blackstone and very happy with it. Neither model will fit in basement. Whatever you opt for, definitely get one with a cover for cooking in cold and windy conditions.

• Like 3

2022 Oliver Elite II Hull#1047 "Saunter"

2014 VW Touareg TDI

ALAZILINKSMIMONVNMNCOHSCTNTXVAsm.jpg

If I were to buy another camp stove, which I am not going to do, it would be a Partner Stove, probably their 18” two burner.  The REI aluminum roll up table works well.

I don’t know how it happened, but I ended up with a collection of backpacking and camping stoves, including the Coleman white gas stove my parents had when I was a little guy.

• Like 5

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

We have a 36" Blackstone at home and love it. We purchased the 22" Blackstone for the Oliver, probably could have gotten by with 17" but so far we have plenty of space in the truck. We have hoses to connect to Oliver propane as well as hoses for external propane supply.

• Like 4

Vincent, Ohio | 2022 Elite ll, Hull #1182, 2014 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Towing PKG

ALKYMSOHTNWVsm.jpg

I have a Coleman Roadtrip. The regulator comes off so I can use it with the quick connect or direct to a tank. Accessories include a griddle top and a frame to convert it to a regular cooktop pans. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

1 hour ago, HDRider said:

Can you use the Blackstone 17" as a cook top for a pan or a pot?  Will it boil water in a pot?  Will it fry food in a skillet?

Yes, you can put a pan on a Blackstone griddle and boil water. I suppose you could use a skillet, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We use a Weber Q1200 (it runs hot), and a Camp Chef Ranger 2 burner. Both without regulators.   I had a old aluminum stand for the old 2 burner Coleman camp stove, that I made a pine butcher block top that sits on the stand. It can hold the Weber or Camp Chef stove. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

• Moderators
3 hours ago, HDRider said:

Can you use the Blackstone 17" as a cook top for a pan or a pot?  Will it boil water in a pot?  Will it fry food in a skillet?

Not sure why you would want to fry in a skillet, it’s a griddle so you can fry on it.  I just did bacon and eggs this morning.  Fajita’s tonight.  Easy cleanup.  Mike

• Like 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Not sure why you would want to fry in a skillet

II am trying to get a sense of how much heat it generates. 

• Thanks 1

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4