Twin bed sleeping Position?

jd1923

Twin bed sleeping Position?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred sleeping position in your Oliver? (given the twin bed option) And please comment with any pros & cons you see.

• I/we sleep with our head(s) at the rear, by the nightstand.
    • I/we sleep with our head(s) at the front, closer to the kitchen.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 06:59 AM

What is your preferred sleeping position in your Oliver?  (given the twin bed option) And please comment with any pros & cons you see.

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Originally I/we slept with our heads at the rear.  However, with the corner radius and the nightstand at the rear I/we found that the room for one's elbows was diminished.

So, we "flipped" and now not only are the elbows happier but the risk of cracking the inner hull has been lessened😂.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We have CPAP machines, so we sleep head to rear as our machines sit on the middle storage cubby.
Our rear console also has AC , DC, and USB outlets on both sides so it works best for us to head rearward.

CS

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

51 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

What is your preferred sleeping position in your Oliver?  (given the twin bed option) And please comment with any pros & cons you see.

I tried sleeping with my head at the rear, but after one night, I decided that I like my head by the kitchen as there's more room for my shoulders.  My wife sleeps with her head at the rear.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We both sleep with our heads towards the galley. 😴 We really sleep great on our 10” memory foam mattresses. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

We both sleep with our heads at the rear, I like laying in bed and seeing more of the beautiful interior space I paid for! When sitting up with the bed and sham pillows at my back, I find the corner wall curvature very comfortable.  As for the nightstand, items placed and/or being charged on this table are well within reach, and I really like having my iPhone handy, as well the clock display visible whether laying or sitting. We wouldn’t be able to use our Lagun tables in the same manner if our sleeping positions were reversed; they are placed above the foot of our beds at night to stage the sham pillows and extra bedding. Also, the window view from bed is generally better and more private due to the wall recess at the rear. This is what we are accustomed to and have found no reason to sleep any other way; admittedly, the elbow issue is ‘real’ and I completely understand other’s views regarding the matter, but for us the pros outweigh the cons. Lastly, when the beds are made-up, the overall look of the interior decor is so much more appealing!

IMG_1524.thumb.jpeg.752a867fc1b8f950e629f93b672392e7.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

• Moderator+
22 minutes ago, Ronbrink said:

We both sleep with our heads at the rear, I like laying in bed and seeing more of the beautiful interior space I paid for! When sitting up with the bed and sham pillows at my back, I find the corner wall curvature very comfortable.  As for the nightstand, items placed and/or being charged on this table are well within reach, and I really like having my iPhone handy, as well the clock display visible whether laying or sitting. We wouldn’t be able to use our Lagun tables in the same manner if our sleeping positions were reversed; they are placed above the foot of our beds at night to stage the sham pillows and extra bedding. Also, the window view from bed is generally better and more private due to the wall recess at the rear. This is what we are accustomed to and have found no reason to sleep any other way; admittedly, the elbow issue is ‘real’ and I completely understand other’s views regarding the matter, but for us the pros outweigh the cons. Lastly, when the beds are made-up, the overall look of the interior decor is so much more appealing!

IMG_1524.thumb.jpeg.752a867fc1b8f950e629f93b672392e7.jpeg

We feel exactly the same way you do about the way the trailer looks with the beds made as in your photo. But we wanted to sleep with our heads toward the galley so that we could watch the television. So, we compromised, We sleep with our heads pointed forward and place the pillows aft when we make the beds. 

And, strangely, if either of us takes an afternoon nap, we do so with our heads at the rear.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ronbrink said:

Lastly, when the beds are made-up, the overall look of the interior decor is so much more appealing!

Funny thing about that - my sleeping bag really doesn't look much different no matter how much time I take to "make it up" or direction I place it in.😇

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

We feel exactly the same way you do about the way the trailer looks with the beds made as in your photo. But we wanted to sleep with our heads toward the galley so that we could watch the television. So, we compromised, We sleep with our heads pointed forward and place the pillows aft when we make the beds. 

And, strangely, if either of us takes an afternoon nap, we do so with our heads at the rear.

This is exactly what we do including the nap in the wrong direction.  lol

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

36 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Funny thing about that - my sleeping bag really doesn't look much different no matter how much time I take to "make it up" or direction I place it in.😇

Bill

Bill, we have 20 year old sleeping bags.  They don't look elegant like some pictures I have seen here.  We talk about getting more into this century, but it's already nearly 1/4 way done, so why rush things.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

We started with heads by the nightstand.  After a couple of years we switched to heads by the kitchen.  We did that a few years and now we’re back to heads near the nightstand.  We always made the beds with the pillows at the nightstand.  Either way works for us.  We’ve also switched to using sleeping bags the last couple of years, easier than making up the beds each morning.  We still have sheets and a bedspread we just throw our bags on top to sleep.  Simple is good.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I sleep with my head by the nightstand, but when reading in the evenings I sit in the other direction.  I like having the nightstand nearby for my glasses, water, phone, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

My wife and I started with our heads to the galley. This makes the transition from watching TV to sleeping very easy. However, we switched to heads to rear as it's easier to swing our legs out without interference from the nightstand. Those mid-night restroom breaks helped us realize this.

Fyi: We have suction handles (from Walmart or Amazon) that we install above us to grab and more easily assist out of bed. (Have one in the shower too.)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

On 1/12/2024 at 7:49 PM, Mike and Carol said:

We’ve also switched to using sleeping bags the last couple of years, easier than making up the beds each morning.

I will preface the following by thanking Mike and Carol for a segue into the issue of bedding variables. Hopefully it will be helpful to some or at least entertaining to others. We make our twin beds in such a way that eases this somewhat difficult task and doubles the layers of cover to better dial in personal comfort; works great for our ‘he’s hot’-‘she’s cold’ dilemma! It all starts with proper planning and  prep, mostly done in the convenience of home when the bedding laundry from a trip is being done; sheets, pillowcases/shams, blankets and throws. I’ve grown accustomed to that ‘fresh’ scent opposed to the ‘seasoned’ smell of my old camping/hunting bedroll, but I’ve digressed! Once laundered, the fitted bottom sheets are folded in the usual awkward manner; however the flat sheets are each folded in half lengthwise, laid out (as if on the Oliver twin) to initially fold the bottom up and over to the desired bed length (foot of bed where tucked in to wherever you like the sheet top to be when made), then subsequent folds of the remaining in smaller lengths to complete the process for stowage; the blankets are folded in much the same manner, but rather than a half fold allow the top portion a bit more width for aisle overhang (more on this later). Along with folded pillowcases/shams, throws and pillows, all is zippered up in a clear bag and placed in the Oliver for future use. If a second set of sheets were used on a trip, they are folded in the same manner, but stowed at the closet upper shelf until next needed. 

IMG_4410.thumb.jpeg.ea50de534ca2230532cff743bb4d66ed.jpeg

We rarely completely make the beds prior to departure, but at minimum the fitted sheets are installed to protect the mattresses in transit. ‘Bed Scrunchies’ are your friend, especially if one uses standard twin sheets rather than the custom ones that better fit the curved mattress corner. 

IMG_0667.thumb.jpeg.ce9c35338414b71d1b58a6123676e248.jpeg

IMG_0668.thumb.jpeg.61fafc2c5eb377e675ee61e88efe08be.jpeg

‘Why all the hoopla?’ you may be thinking, well let me explain! When it comes time to make the beds, your uniquely folded flat sheets are laid out ‘head to toe’ with the ‘lengthwise’ fold against the fiberglass wall, and if done properly that ‘initial’ fold you made will be at the foot of the bed. Now simply take that generous length of folded sheet and lift the mattress enough to tuck it into place; do the same with the blanket. Voila, the sheet and blanket ends are firmly anchored and the bed is almost made, less the pillows and optional throw, if desired.

IMG_1491.thumb.jpeg.fa842e93c48a025e9aeac5cefbfbe102.jpeg

‘Now wait a minute, what’s the big deal?’ you may be thinking, well let me explain! Traditionally, RV bed covers are tucked in at the bottom (easy), as well as along the wall (not so easy). A standard twin sheet/blanket is way too wide for the Oliver’s bed size, thus resulting in unruly bulk, and a lot of reaching, bending and tugging to tuck the excess away in good order. Many resort to altering bedding or making do with non-standard sizes, and I get it. However, I’m a simple man (my wife is laughing), but innovative! I now have two layers of sheets and two layers of blanket to crawl under, allowing me to peel off consecutive layers, as necessary. But there’s more! The crux of the matter is the simplicity and ease of effort in straightening the bed covers, whether during the night after getting up or just in and out of bed in the morning, and of course making it up for the day. ‘How is that?’ you may be thinking, well let me explain! If laying or sitting in bed, by grabbing and aligning the top corners of the sheet while slightly lifting and pulling, they will self-make; the blanket can then be done is like fashion. Because each are snuggly tucked and anchored, you can pull as taut as you like for the desired result. Making up the bed is just as easy, only from a standing position and in a jiffy! The proof is in the pudding!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

Heads to the front. We like being able to see the tv. The back just seemed too cramped

I sleep on the curb side, CPAP sits on the stove glass with 12v plug right above. CPAP put away in the closet during the day.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

Another vote for heads to galley, and others have hit on our reasons, as well. Another plus for heads to galley is the ability to use the Froli adjustable headrest under the mattress; this headrest, coupled with their mattress support, have reinforced the heads to galley position best for us.

IMG_4103.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie” Hull 997

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

36 minutes ago, Jstone said:

Another vote for heads to galley, and others have hit on our reasons, as well. Another plus for heads to galley is the ability to use the Froli adjustable headrest under the mattress; this headrest, coupled with their mattress support, have reinforced the heads to galley position best for us.

IMG_4103.jpeg

@Jstone, that's nice. 

We sleep with our heads towards the galley, too. We watch TV while in bed, also.

• Thanks 1

2015 LE2

We sleep with our heads toward the kitchen. We always setup the trailer with the front a little higher than the rear and we like our heads a little higher than our feet. We also lean against the kitchen cabinets and pantry while watching television. 

• Thanks 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

What is your preferred sleeping position in your Oliver? (given the twin bed option) And please comment with any pros & cons you see.

Ok, I get the intent of the question and politely ask forgiveness due to hijackings the thread in a moment.  Considering only two options,  I sleep with my head fore and my wife towards aft.  My reason is to gain shoulder width facing Fore.

But if one were to get my real preference, it would be neither of these options.   🙂    Which brings me to the hijacking forgiveness part.

This photo give me an idea.

image.png.4df2bbc875bcc78b51c19cc9d35f48b7.png

IF the Froli folks made a folding bed extender along the lines of this photo that required no center support, was about 50" long, and exactly fit in-between  the dimension of the bed mattress side rails, there would be more than a few of us that would use that other answer.  🙂   For the bonus design merit badge, it would have the ability to adjust it's hang elevation below to level out using 2 layers of the standard OE2 cushions with either a 4" or 6" foam mattress on the twin beds.  There by creating a near horizontal wall to wall X 5' wide sleeping space... thereby needing a third option to the survey.   

How about it Froli, 

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I need a “None of the above” option.

I sleep on the curb side with my head forward, next to the stove. I sleep elbows out on my stomach, and the one time I tried with my head aft, I kept bashing my elbows on the nightstand. Deb sleeps street side, head aft. She finds it easier to ge in and out and likes the convenience of the nightstand for her stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Well, let's see...

The ultimate answer should be - "It depends".

Why?

The situation for us is fluid.  

Currently, the boys and I are solo in Quartzsite...  Therefore, I get which ever "side" I want - port or starboard.  Last night I chose the port side, head fore because we were watching a Netflix movie - Magnus did too.  Oscar was banished to the starboard rack.  

When D is aboard - she opts for the port side and usually takes Oscar with her, he's smaller and gives her more room.  Magnus and my 6'1" old bones get the STBD side and make due.

What about morning coffee/shower time?  Similar to @ScubaRx's comment, interestingly, after the coffee is made we switch from heads fore to aft...  Why?  Better view - especially when D climbs out of the shower...

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Care 1
  • Haha 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX